2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Random switches to character substitution in mail-message composition

The title says it all - almost. This is outlook 2007 in W7. I am just typing away at a message and out of the blue the non alphanumeric characters switch to a different appearance. for example " turns into an E with a circumflex (I think that is the right term) on top, ' becomes an e with a circumflex and so on. Any idea what triggers this or more importantly is there an easy way to switch back? Currently I have to exit Outlook and restart it. This does not happen in any other program, or affect any other program when it happens in outlook.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First, check the keyboard & language settings, if they're set to French Canadian this could happen. Second, I know in Word if you hold down the Ctrl key and `key, then press e, you get the accented e character ( as in, How are you ève?). Most likely the keyboard setting though.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

eratic characters in outlook

Thanks for the thought - but...There is only one language installed. (Evidence rclick on taskbar, select toolbar - no language toolbar). Under "Region and Language" "Text Services .." General - just English (Canada) / keyboard US. Under language bar - docked in taskbar (which it is not), "Advanced key.." "Hot keys""Between input languages" "None" "To English (Canada) - US" was "None" now I have a seeting to try to get back.
    But irrespective of all this, note I said the problem only affects Outlook, whereas all the above settings affect all programs .

??

Lounger
    Thanks
    Happens to me also with Outlook 2010. No other software is affected.

My work-around is to shut Outlook down and restart it. Problem disappears.
    Seymour

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Check Outlook, Tools, Options, Mail Format, Message Format, International Options, Encoding Options.