1. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Live Mail problem, but I think Chrome caused it

A couple of weeks ago, I got a box that popped up that said that Chrome needed to do some kind of maintenance. I didn't pay that much attention to it, just clicked OK, it did it's thing and then my shortcuts wouldn't work anymore. Again, I didn't pay as much attention as I probably should have, my shortcuts were pointing to a different location than they were before. I updated everything and then Chrome was working fine.

However, now whenever I click a link in an e-mail in Windows Live Mail, I get an error that shows the link that I clicked on and then shows Application Not Found. Any suggestions on how to fix that? Thx.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    well have you tried to make it your default web browser ?
    most of the problems happen that way
    Here is a link that might help also;http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11429...google-chrome/
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

4. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Chowur, yes, I thought of that and it is my default browser. I'm thinking of rolling back to a couple of weeks ago, to see if that might fix it but I didn't want to do that if there was an easier fix.
    Last edited by donebb; 2012-05-03 at 21:20.

Thanks
    If you are using Windows 7, Click on the start orb and then Default programs. After the next screen populates, click on Windows Live Mail and then the set this program as default button.

Jerry

6. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry, WLM was my default mail program.

I am using Windows 7 Home, fully updated and Windows Live Mail desktop client, I believe the latest version. Chrome and WLM were both set as default programs. I tried an experiment where I made Internet Explorer 9 the default and the links worked. When I switched back to Chrome, they did not work anymore. I prefer Chrome and I prefer WLM, what do I do? Thanks for your help.

7. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fixed it! I uninstalled Chrome and then re-installed it. It installed in a different location than it was before.

When it didn't work, it was in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

After the re-install it is in:
    C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Applicati on\chrome.exe

And now it works. Not sure what the difference the location makes but that must be it. Thanks for the suggestions Chowur and Jerry.

Thanks
    Chrome does not normally install in Program Files. That it did is different. Mine is also installed in the same path as listed in your second choice. Did you install it differently to get it to install in Program Files? I think I read another thread that someone was trying to find a way to install it into Program Files and could not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

9. 4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

No, a few weeks before, I got some kind of notice about maintenance or something for Chrome, I didn't really read it, which is a good lesson learned, and after that, all the trouble started. I know that it wasn't in Program Files prior to that, because my shortcuts didn't work anymore and had to be re-directed. Not sure what it did.

Thanks
    I wonder now if that notice was truly from Google Chrome. I have never received a notice from Chrome about maintenance. I have received notices once in a while about new updates available, but nothing about maintenance.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    Fixed it! I uninstalled Chrome and then re-installed it. It installed in a different location than it was before.

When it didn't work, it was in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

After the re-install it is in:
    C:\Users\Don\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\Applicati on\chrome.exe

And now it works. Not sure what the difference the location makes but that must be it. Thanks for the suggestions Chowur and Jerry.
    I have the same issue as this thread states others are having and so far with much research have not been able to solve such a small issue SO -

Would you be so kind as to tell me how you choose using Windows 7 to download and install CHROME in Program Files when it installs in Program Files (x86) by default

Many thanks in anticipation of a hasty reply.

kind regards,