Thanks

Autocomplete is forgetting some of my login IDs

I've always left Autocomplete on with IE, since I use different login IDs for different sites (on some my usual ID was already taken) but not to remember the password - some security is better than none. This has happened before in the past, and while I've always been annoyed by it I've never bothered to look for a solution - in fact it's taken me close to 2 months to get around to doing it this time.
    System: Windows XP Pro SP3; IE8 (curently patched). I also have Firefox and Chrome, but I use them for different things - IE I use for work and more 'serious' things like banking, taxes, school and WOPR. Also facebook, if only because I first used it on IE and the link is on my Favorites bar. Yes - lazy.

All I did to log into facebook is to type the first letter of my email address into the email box and then select the address from the resultant dropdown list. Somehow that list has disappeared, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it back. Sometimes when this happens on some websites, all I have to do is type in the userid once and it's back on the dropdown list. But not this time. Do I need to delete my Autocomplete history and then start from scratch? That doesn't sound very logical, unless it resets Autocomplete settings in the background - Autocomplete has, as I said, been turned on this whole time, along with the option to remember logins & passwords. My (various) logins still appear for most websites - WOPR, for example - so it's not a system-wide problem, apparently. But my wife's facebook account is under her user account on the same PC, and it still appears (she actually has it set to automatically log her in when she goes there; she never logs out, so maybe that might not be the best measuring stick. But it does appear when I log her off if she goes to bed with her account still logged in - I've checked. I think that narrows it down to my user account.

Any ideas? I don't want to use a password manager - I gave that function to a small notebook years ago; it still works fine and never needs a reboot.

Thanks!
    Have a cookie -

Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you run any system cleaning tools?

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

djmoore (2013-04-04)

Thanks
    Yikes! How did I forget about this thread? The problem became a non-issue somehow - I forget how, which worries me - but now it is back again. And then I remembered I had created a thread here to inquire about it.

Joe, I apologize for being so remiss in checking back for any replies; I do not run any system cleaning tools but at the time I believe I may have been wrestling with SystemSuite 11, which was problematic in some ways, so I eventually uninstalled it. That may be how the problem resolved itself, but I don't recall. I have CCleaner installed, but I hardly ever use it and have it set to not delete cookies in order to avoid problems like this.

But this time I think I probably just inadvertently deleted cookies during a major brain fart. Now I have one userid in particular that is more complex than I'd like and typing it in properly first thing in the morning can take a few tries; it used to just show up after I typed the first letter, and the password appeared as well - but now even though Autocomplete is still fully activated, I get nothing. Normally after one or two times typing it in manually it will become a dropdown option, but that doesn't happen in this case.

My system is still identical to the description in my previous post above.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Administrator
    Thanks
    Cookies may be used by a web site for a persistent login but that is not how IE saves logins. See IE PassView for a utility that will allow you to manage IE passwords.

You may need to disable the autocomplete functions in IE and re-enable them to get it functioning again. Use the utility to get a copy before you disable them.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

djmoore (2013-04-14)

Thanks
    Sigh, good old IE. I wouldn't even be using it if it weren't for work - as usual, they require IE for logging in.

Thanks for the suggestion, Joe - I'll give it a try and hopefully it will be an easy fix with that utility.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Your login IDs should always be complex, particularly the password. You should never use IE to store them because anyone with access to your computer can use them / steal them. You should use a password manager to store all your passwords in one easily accessible and secure location.
    Try KeePass or LastPass, both free.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    My passwords are relatively complex - alpha-numeric-special char. combinations that have a special meaning and follow a pattern, but I'm the only one who knows what the pattern is.
    I use an "offline" password manager - namely, a small notebook in a secure location in my house. That way it's never unavailable even in case of a computer failure.
    Both my kids are in college and have their own laptops, and my wife has a laptop too - I'm the only one who needs to access this computer, so I feel relatively secure in that respect as well. Thanks, Paul
    Have a cookie -

Don