New Lounger
    Thanks

5 GHZ Connectivity

Just purchased a shiny new ASUS laptop (U46E-BAL6) which has everything I need EXCEPT the ability to connect to my Cisco E4200 dual band router at 5 GHZ. I can see my 5GHZ network on Manage Wireless Networks but cannot connect. An email to ASUS support tells me this shiny new laptop does not have the capabilty of connecting at 5 GHZ, only 2.4. So can anyone tell me if there is any work-around or add-on that might give me a 5 GHZ connection?
    Running Win 7 Home Premium 64bit
    8GB Ram
    Intel i7 (2nd gen)

TIA for any thoughts you might have.
    peterboroughron

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge.

The only workaround would be to buy a WiFi adapter that supports 5 GHz.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Peterboroughron (2012-05-03)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib I was thinking about. Are you talking about one that plugs into the USB port? Will that work as ASUS support says my laptop is not capable of a 5 GHZ connection? I know a fair amount about computers but limited on network/wifi stuff.
    Regards,
    pbr.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hi,

Yes, it can be one of the USB ones. A quick check on your laptop specs seems to indicate that there are no slots for PC or Express cards, so USB is the only option. ASUS statement just means that your hardware does not support 5GHz because the internal adapter does not support it. A USB card will bring its own radio, so as long as the USB adapter supports it, you will be fine.

Two examples of adapters that you could use:

http://www.amazon.ca/300MBPS-Adapter-Dual-Wireless-Nspeed/dp/B001P9XHHS/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2
    http://www.amazon.ca/D-Link-DWA-160-...6063375&sr=8-1
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-05-03 at 12:46. Reason: Edited to add links to adapters

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thats great!! I will check out both and a Google search also mentions Cisco AE1000. So now off to do some research.
    PBR.
    PS. I note ruirib that you are very attentive to detail - you sent links to Amazon Canada and not the usul Amazon US. Amazing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterboroughron View Post
    Thats great!! I will check out both and a Google search also mentions Cisco AE1000. So now off to do some research.
    PBR.
    PS. I note ruirib that you are very attentive to detail - you sent links to Amazon Canada and not the usul Amazon US. Amazing.
    The links would only make sense if you could use them .