New Lounger
    Thanks

Tables and Lists, Oh My! (Word 2010)

I am working on a document primarily composed of a series of tables with two columns. The left one has French text and the right one English. I am attempting to used numbered lists for these two columns with the English being one list and the French being an identical list beside it.

Word seems to want to make the list run horizontally first and then vertically. I can usually persuade it to do it my way by using the format painter, but if I change anything else the list reverts back. This usually means I then have to address every numbered item below that point in the list. Is there some trick I am missing?

If I am not clear, please let me know and I will try again.

Thanks all!

Thanks
    You need two separate lists or to use a cross-reference to the numbering in the French text used to number comparable English text. (I think that is how I would do it. I would have each row be the French text and English translation.

You would still have to select all your text and press F9 to update your numbering when you switch things around.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks
    You could also use SEQ codes, but they're just so 20th Century. I like Charles' first solution, myself.

I've attached a document with a two-column table, each column has a list style applied to it, so when you press Tab in the last cell to create a new row, it should also include the style.

HTH, Kim
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks both of you. I have been working in IT for almost 20 years but obviously I am no Word guru. I will try what you have suggested and let you know how it works. Networking computers is much easier than wrangling Word!

Darcey