3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excel 2010 on 64-bit

I have been moving from a 32 to 64-bit Windows 7 computer. In Excel 2010 on the 64-bit system I cannot get the save/open file location to be set to a network drive. I set the location to J:\temp\bjg1 which seems to remain in the Options, Save, Default File Location. When I first open Excel and go to Open file, it does default to the network folder. If I change to another network drive and work with a file there, save and close, the next time I try to Open a file, the folder has changed to the C: drive. I expected it to change to the last network folder or at least the default file location. On the 32-bit Windows 7 computer the last location I used becomes the location for the next Open. Is there something in the setup that I am missing? This doesn't seem to happen on other computers.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi

I tested using Excel2010 on my 64-bit Windows 7 laptop.
    I mapped a drive to a network folder, and then set this as the default location.
    When I next open Excel2010, it then uses this default location as expected.
    I then switched to another network location, opened a file, saved the file and exit.
    My Excel 2010 on next opening again defaulted to the network folder I set up, i.e. it did not switch to the C:drive.

When you say this doesn't seem to happen on other computers, are you saying that on other computers your Excel2010 default network folder location is maintained?? But not on yours?
    It's working on mine so I don't think it is the Excel setup.

zeddy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Zeddy

Other computers running Excel 2010 on 64-bit Windows 7 computers do not have any problems changing to another network drive and having that drive stick for the next open.

I did find that my issues were with one particular network drive. We mapped another drive letter to the problem drive. Excel worked as expected with the newly mapped drive. When I went back to our standard drive map, it now worked by keeping that drive and folder for the next open attempt.

I unmapped the temporary drive and the original drive is still working as expected, This was too strange!

Thanks for your assistance and testing.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi

Perhaps it temporarily 'lost' the network connection and defaulted to the C: drive??
    Anyway, glad the problem has gone away.

zeddy