Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Printing highlighted subject line

If you think an email is spam, and you report it to the real company they ask for detailed info.
    Question?
    On your email page you highlight subj. line and then right click, then select PRINT. It will print the email out. By R/clicking and printing dos it open the email as read? or leave it as unread?.

By printing then you can send info to real company.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Sending a spam email to the real company is a waste of time. The "From" email address is easily spoofed by a spammer. After the fact, the true company can do almost nothing to rectify it.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not use the from in the email. I Bing search for the real company, and send them the email. The real question in my post is about highlighting the subject line and right clicking and select PRINT. Doe's this open the email? or doe's it print the contents without opening the email? That is my question.
    Last edited by staffnon; 2012-05-05 at 20:25.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Depends on your settings at Tools, Options, Other, Reading Pane.

Do you print spam on paper and then pay to send it back to the company by snail mail? (Not sure why you want to use print on spam otherwise.)

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    STOP AND READ MY ORIGINAL POST.
    I used spam as an example,and sending info to the real company, either vie their contact page or maybe even snail mail. That is background info.
    MY QUESTION AND ONLY QUESTION IS
    When you are on your email page and you have not opened a email(any email) (still flagged NOT READ. And you right click on a email it becomes highlighted. And a pop up windows opens and one of the options is PRINT. Click print and the entire email is printed.
    QUESTION? Now look at the original email line and it still shows not read. BUT is it really not read, on your screen it shows NOT READ, but internally is email opened (which then in reality you have let the spam (or what ever) in to your systems.

If you don't understand what I am saying, then follow what I said and do it on your computer and see for yourself.

P.S. A number of people have said this is a great site and very helpful. But right I am not sure cause people seem to be fixated on my spam (background) info and not the question about PRINT.

Here's what I mean about not reading my post. JoeP517 Administrator wrote about my spam but never mentioned anything about my print question.
    Last edited by staffnon; 2012-05-06 at 09:41.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Depends on your settings at Tools, Options, Other, Reading Pane.

Do you print spam on paper and then pay to send it back to the company by snail mail? (Not sure why you want to use print on spam otherwise.)

Bruce
    BruceR, thanks for your reply. Not sure what you meant on your first line? Cause when I right click on subject line a pop up windows appears and I then click print. And the entire email is printed. My question doe's this action open the email? Me mentioning my spam was background info. Not what I needed to do with it.

Thanks
    From past experience most companies that I have contacted about a possible spam message, request that I send them the header, not just the subject line as that really doesn't do them any good. To do that in my msn webmail, I simply right click on the e-mail then "Message source" copy/paste that into an e-mail to send to the company. In Outlook ('07) right click the e-mail and choose "Message Options" and again copy/paste to your e-mail.
    Hope that this little tantalizing tidbit of trivia will tittilate your tastebuds.!!!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    From past experience most companies that I have contacted about a possible spam message, request that I send them the header, not just the subject line as that really doesn't do them any good. To do that in my msn webmail, I simply right click on the e-mail then "Message source" copy/paste that into an e-mail to send to the company. In Outlook ('07) right click the e-mail and choose "Message Options" and again copy/paste to your e-mail.
    Hope that this little tantalizing tidbit of trivia will tittilate your tastebuds.!!!
    Thanks for that info. Yes I have done it that way. But forgetting about the word SPAM. Doe's right click on subject, then pop up window opens and you click print and the entire email is printed out. Question by doing that doe's it really open the email? even thought subject line still reads email unread. Question what go's on by right click and print/ Is email still really unopened/not-read, maybe? on your screen. But? is it already open inside system?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    We both stopped and read your original post already. But spam didn't sound like just an example, because it was mentioned before and after your printing question.

However, ignoring any spam aspect, what is it you're trying to avoid here? If an email is in your Outlook inbox it's already in your system.

If you're trying to avoid sending a read receipt to the sender, you can configure that to Never send or Ask me before sending at Tools. Options, Preferences, E-mail Options, Tracking Options.

If you're trying to avoid a virus, there's no danger of that unless you run an attachment.

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    We both stopped and read your original post already. But spam didn't sound like just an example, because it was mentioned before and after your printing question.

However, ignoring any spam aspect, what is it you're trying to avoid here? If an email is in your Outlook inbox it's already in your system.

If you're trying to avoid sending a read receipt to the sender, you can configure that to Never send or Ask me before sending at Tools. Options, Preferences, E-mail Options, Tracking Options.

If you're trying to avoid a virus, there's no danger of that unless you run an attachment.

Bruce
    Thanks BruceR. Sorry for the confusions on the word spam. I do understand your answers on( sending receipt, to Never send, or ask me.
    But what happens when you just right click and the print from window? Its prints the entire email, But still shows unread/unopened. How doe's right click print WORK?
    maybe that is a better question? how doe's print work without opening email?
    Again Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by staffnon View Post
    Thanks BruceR. Sorry for the confusions on the word spam. I do understand your answers on( sending receipt, to Never send, or ask me.
    But what happens when you just right click and the print from window? Its prints the entire email, But still shows unread/unopened. How doe's right click print WORK?
    Again Thanks
    The behavior of the reading pane is configurable from File->Options->Mail (admitting you are using Outlook 2010?). You can mark a message either after a specified amount of time viewing the message on the reading pane or when selection changes. I would say you now have the first option active. You can either change it to the latter or reduce the number of seconds for the first option.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Again Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks ruirib,
    I do change my setting from time to time.
    But still curious/wondering on just right click on a email line and print from pop down window. Is that email really open? or still closed/unread. I use this a lot, just wondering what is really going on?

Thanks
    Thanks for that info. Yes I have done it that way. But forgetting about the word SPAM. Doe's right click on subject, then pop up window opens and you click print and the entire email is printed out. Question by doing that doe's it really open the email? even thought subject line still reads email unread. Question what go's on by right click and print/ Is email still really unopened/not-read, maybe? on your screen. But? is it already open inside system?
    That is really a good question! I can't do an actual print out because I'm out of yellow ink, so I did the next best thing. I reset the e-mail to unread, and then right clicked and chose "Convert to PDF" (See Attachment). While it does print the entire e-mail, the e-mail in my Outlook remains "unread". I would have to assume, that it doesn't actually open the e-mail to print it, but we all know what ASSUME really means.

Reply to thread 'Printing highlighted subject l....jpg
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Its prints the entire email, But still shows unread/unopened.
    That's the first time you've said that yours remains marked as unread after printing. Mine doesn't.

So you want it to get marked as read after printing?

How doe's right click print WORK?
    I don't think "open" is a useful term in this context. Open is what you do when you view a full email on your screen (the first thing on the right-click menu above Print).

Bruce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast