New Lounger
    Thanks

Strange behavior of Office in XP OEM (Office 2000 SBE)

<P ID="del"><FONT SIZE=-1>Post deleted by bobfinnie</FONT>

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Strange behavior of Office in XP OEM (Office 2000 SBE)

As MerC would ask 'where are you coming from (or sometimes, where have you been)'?

Are Windows XP and 2000SBE both OEM, loaded at the factory? Or is 2000SBE a stand alone product?

Has this combination ever worked properly?

New Lounger
    Thanks

XP is OEM, pre-installed on an HP computer.
    Office 2000 is OEM, pre-installed on my 2-year old Dell as Office 97, upgrade to 2000 coming from Dell.

This combination works fine on my laptop under XP OEM, pre-installed on my new Compaq laptop.

Are there different OEM versions of XP??

And, thank you for the literary reference, but excuse my ignorance - who is MerC?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps different versions of XP OEM. I am still waiting for Dell to send their XPP, which will be mailed when they test and approve XP OEM.

MerC? Gentleman, scholar, lounge guru, and sometimes phunster!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>XP is OEM, pre-installed on an HP computer.
    Office 2000 is OEM, pre-installed on my 2-year old Dell as Office 97, upgrade to 2000 coming from Dell.<hr>
    You did not say if the Office was installed by HP as a OEM copy or is it a retail copy installed by you the owner?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave -
    Office is a Dell OEM version (upgraded by Dell from Office 97). They sent me a 2000 installation CD which I used to install Office 2000 on my new HP desktop. Is there such a thing as a "retail copy" of an OEM version of Office, or any SW for that matter? I thought OEM versions, by definition, were pre-installed by HW manufacturers...

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Now we can see the problem. Since the Copy of Office 2000 is a Dell OEM version, it is not to be installed on any other machine other than the one it was obtained for. Some OEM's provide a version that will NOT work on any machine except for theirs. I have not been able to get a OEM version to install on any other make of computer.

No there is NOT a retail OEM version.

Yes, by definition the OEM version are installed by the OEM, but the OEM upgrades are provided BY the OEM to upgrade their customers machines, not some other OEM's machine. Also note that Microsoft will not support any OEM product, the OEM must provide it.

By reading the fine print, one will see that OEM software is NOT to be moved to another machine, even one made by the same OEM.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I get it. I didn't know that about OEM SW to other machines. Makes sense, though.
    I sucked it up and paid MS the $35 to get help on this. (I was desparate - I need Outlook in order to run my business.) They showed me how to tweak the registry via Regedt32 to create the permissions for my user account. It solved both problems - no more EULA every time I launch an Office app, and Outlook ran for me.
    One further mystery, though. I had none of these problems when I installed Office on my new Compaq laptop under their OEM XP. The registry wrote the accounts and permissions in the Local Machine|SW|MS|Office key like you would expect it to. So why would the Dell OEM of Office 2000 install fine on a Compaq, but not on an HP?
    One clue - when I boot in Safe Mode on the 2 machines, the OS is called "XP Home Edition" on my Compaq laptop, but "Whistler Personal 5.1 build 2600" on my HP desktop. That sounds like a pre- RTM RC version or something... I'm also having other problems on my HP (HW, 3rd party SW, Windows Update not working, Help & Support links not working, etc.) that I'm NOT having on my Compaq laptop. Is it possible that I have different OEM versions of XP on the 2 machines?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is it possible that I have different OEM versions of XP on the 2 machines? <font color=red> Yes</font color=red>

New Lounger
    Thanks

So why would the Dell OEM of Office 2000 install fine on a Compaq, but not on an HP?

Bob

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Things may not always work the way the different OEM's do things to protect them selves.

I do not feel I can provide any more information on this matter.