Thanks

Features removed in Windows 8

Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, but I wonder how relavant it will be after the RC in June. Of course maybe the list will get even LONGER! But since it is currently just a preview, I don't get too worked about list like this.

Now, what I do find funny is this statement: The "Compatibility" tab for an application's properties no longer includes 'Windows 2000' and 'Windows NT 4.0' modes. You will be forced to use Application Compatibility Toolkit to set these OS modes.
    Really? Even the really old software I have to support runs just fine on 7 without these modes. I doubt I'd have any trouble in 8 either. And MS has to cut these off at some point anyway.
    Chuck

Thanks
    WoW!
    My eyes were bleeding before I ever got through the first page. Good stuff to know, I guess.

Most people use so few features in Windows, they will probably never know the difference.
    Setting up a working EMail program that the old Outlook Express users can work, will probably be the worse problem.

EDIT: It was no big problem on Win-7, because it only took the replacement of one file (msoe.dll) to make Windows Mail
    work in Win-7. Windows Mail is almost exactly like Outlook Express, at least close enough for old O.E.6 users.

Good topic!

Last edited by DrWho; 2012-05-13 at 09:49.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    With Classic Shell, many of the features removed will be added back in, assuming this app is not blocked in some manner. Since Win 8 CP is far from finished, I suspect MS will be looking at, reading and listening to the many comments from the "testers" of Win 8 CP. I am very interested in Win 8 RP to see how it compares to Win 8 CP. Are the repaired problems going to be mainly the Metro apps, or will MS be working with the numerous Desktop users who have reported problems as well? This is the most important question for me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A FWIW here, I use Office 2000 on all my versions of Windows, even W-8. Runs good. JP.

Thanks
    As a side note, Office 2010 also runs quite nicely just as it does in Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy