2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CCleaner not deleting cookies

Hi -

The cookies in cookie to be deleted column are not deleted. I first thought those in the column would automatically be deleted when Ccleaner was run. No. I then tried to select them all, that didn't work.

What am I missing, please. Thank you.

(Version 3.18.1707; Firefox 12)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is "Cookies" checked on the first page (Cleaner icon and Windows tab) for IE and on the second page (Cleaner icon and Applications tab) for each other browser?

"If you use the method in Option 1 to keep all cookies on your PC, the cookies in the Cookies to Delete column will not be deleted."
    Ccleaner Documentation: Choosing which cookies to keep

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-05-04 at 17:40.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce. It was not. I checked it for Firefox, ran the cleaner again. Still there....I do have certain cookies in the cookies to keep column, but surely that shouldn't interfere with cookies to be deleted???

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you sure what's in the cookies to be deleted column couldn't be from IE (or some other browser other than FF)?

Check Cookies for each browser and try again?

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, both IE and Firefox cookies are selected to be deleted. I restarted and ran Ccleaner yet again and in the window that shows what it is deleting, it did show IE AND Firefox. But, no, still are cookies listed in that column.

Before posting to this Board, I did do a search and apparently it is a problem, but I couldn't find a solution that was posted....

I do appreciate your help and time with this annoyance.

Thanks
    Ensure that none of the contents that CCleaner removes are being excluded within the applications fine tuning properties.
    CCleaner>>Options>>Cookies, and or CCleaner>>Options>>include/exclude.

You might also try this program.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Check Adobe Flash Player and Macromedia Shockwave if listed at Applications, Multimedia.

Is there any other drive in the computer which was previously used for Windows?

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Bruce and CLiNT -

Under Apps,I checked Clear Internet Cache and that SEEMS to have done the trick.

(Cookies and Session had been checked all along but they alone don't seem to have been enough...)

I thank you again for your help.

Edited to add: this is under Firefox/Mozilla in Apps tab

Thanks
    In Firefox, cntl+shift+del opens the Firefox "Clear All History" window. The "Clear Now" button will then "clear" (delete) per the boxes checked. There is a box for cookies. Once checked, the boxes remain checked from session to session.

This is an easy and quick way to delete cookies in Firefox mid-session. If your pointer is set to "Automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box," then after cntl+shift+del all you'll need to do is depress the Enter key.

Personally, in addition to Cookies, I also clear (delete) the Browsing & Download History, and Cache.
    ===
    After I originally posted this, I realized that I did not include that using this method will also delete .sol "flash cookies" and their underlying .com files. Be warned.

The only exception I've encountered is that a "macromedia.com" file and it's "settings.sol" cookie always remains; I was informed, reliably I feel, by the developer of FlashCookiesView that this is not a true flash cookie.
    Last edited by lesle; 2012-05-10 at 12:48. Reason: Add Information

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lesle View Post
    If your pointer is set to "Automatically move pointer to the default button in a dialog box," then after cntl+shift+del all you'll need to do is depress the Enter key.
    That setting doesn't affect the keyboard. If it's the default button then the enter key will do it anyway.

Bruce

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

lesle (2012-05-10)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    HI GUYS!!

This thread may be a year old, but I had the same problem as the OP - and I didn't want to go into individual IE or FF deletions either... It turns out that for both this problem AND some of the Registry clearing, the solution is so damned simple that Piriform should be court-martialed and SHOT for not including it in GREAT BIG LETTERS within the CCleaner program!

I had the EXACT same problem as the OP, and all it took to make the CCleaner do it's job regarding cookies I wanted to delete was to CLOSE FIREFOX or IE!!!

That's it! I spent HOURS on those Keep & Delete columns, and it was driving me crazy that it wasn't doing it's job...
    I closed Firefox, waited about 5 seconds, and re-ran CCleanter. Boom - all that crap was gone.

Hope this helps a lot of other guys,
    Marc

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Trapped For This Useful Post:

BruceR (2013-04-11)