2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

upgraded second drive not recognized

I recently changed my C drive from 150 GB to 320 GB but still had a second drive that was only 150 GB. So yesterday I had it replaced with the same 320 GB drive I now have as C, which is a Western Digital WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 PATA. My computer is not recognizing the new drive; I did not get the message about finding new hardware, etc., and it does not appear, as the other one did, as the F drive in My Computer. It is shown in the device manager and disk management sees it but says "unallocated." My image backup program sees the disk and says it is "healthy." Also, my machine is still recognizing my external drives.

What is going on and how can I fix it?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Thanks
    If the Disk Manager shows it as unallocated, it appears that it is not formatted. Have you attempted to put anything onto it? You could always format it from Disk Manager. Once formatted it should show up as a logical drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's going to be used as a backup drive; I'm probably going to use it with Casper, but I might use it with Acronis. So should I just format it in NTFS? I've never actually done this process before and I don't want to render the disk unusable by doing something wrong! What should I do after I right-click on the drive in Disk Manager?

Thanks,
    Ellen

Thanks
    In disk manager if you Right Click the unallocated space (drive) you can choose Format. I would also choose to format it as NTFS. You can then set it to Logical Drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am given the option to initialize; there is no format, not yet anyway. Does that come after initializing?

Another thought: what if I just set up Acronis to back up to the disk as it is, since it recognizes it? Would that take care of formatting?

Thanks
    Hmmm, I am not sure. I am unsure why you would have to back it up with Acronis as of yet. There is nothing on it. I guess I would try to Initialize it. If something bad happens, take it back because it would appear something is not working properly.

I suppose you could try a different partition app as well. Either Partition Wizard or EaseUS Partition Magic should work nicely. Perhaps they would have better luck than Windows at formatting the HD. I would try Initialize first though.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I meant I want to back up my C drive to the new drive. Apparently Acronis will let me do that even though the system hasn't officially recognized the drive.

Anyway, I initialized, and . . . nothing happened at all after I clicked OK. I rebooted, still nothing. I see no options offered anywhere for formatting. Am I not looking in the right place?

Thanks
    OK, I see you wish to use the 2nd drive as a storage area for Images. Good choice.

When you open Disk Manager does it look similar to this:

diskmanagement.jpg

Obviously, mine shows 3 partitions, my Win 7, Win 8 CP and Data partitions. In this case partitions are similar to separate HD's. My OS is Win 7, but I believe if I remember correctly Win XP was similar. I wonder if there might be a problem with that HD.

I would try to create the Image and point to the second HD and see what happens. The worst that can happen is it does not work. In that case I would be looking at returning the HD as a possible problem drive.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

decibelle (2012-05-06)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Acronis wouldn't do it after all, but Casper would, and yes, now it's finally recognized. :>)

Thanks
    I would check after it's recognized to see if Acronis will create the Image to the drive. It's always nice to have options. I have no idea about Casper. I use Acronis.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I like Casper a lot. I've actually never done a restore from Acronis, only from Casper. But you're right; I'll probably go ahead and use it for Acronis.