Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I get mine from http://GruberPower.com for a reasonable price. - - - Shorto
    Last edited by Shorto; 2012-05-10 at 07:48.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If your battery is a 12 volt, 8 AH gelled electrolyte type, and if you know anyone who works in the security industry, they can get you them at wholesale prices. These are the same as the standby batteries used in security systems.

Thanks

Cool

The newer models of UPS's. are pretty finicky about what battery can be installed. But the older models, like going back ten years or so, could care less what battery you use as long as it puts out 12vdc. Some larger units even run on 24vdc
    But I have one of the older 600va units from APC and it had four 6vdc batteries in it, to make 12vdc. The original batteries had died and were leaking.

I replaced those old batteries with TWO car batteries wired in parallel, to put out 12v, but at a staggering 500+ amp hours. That UPS will now run with a 300w load for over seven hours. I use it to backup my TV, Cable box, DVD Recorder, one table lamp and even a small personal fan. It's great when we have area-wide power failures.

In a pinch, I can even jump start my car off of those batteries. I picked two batteries, (from Wal-Mart) that would fit in my car if I ever need a new car battery, in an emergency. The UPS keeps these batteries fully charged.
    Sometimes it pays dividends to "Get Creative".

Check your yellow pages for "Batteries". You probably have a store in your area that sells the exact battery you need.
    When you go shopping, take your old battery with you, so you can get an exact replacement.

Good Luck!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

rpinsc (2012-05-12)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you never use the battery and always have the laptop plugged into the adapter, you can remove the battery and leave it out. This is good for laptops used as desktop replacements and for older laptops that soon will be replaced. That way you don't need to spend $100 on a soon to be replaced computer.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Red face Replacement source for batteries for APC, cellphones, cordless phones

I've been using BatteryMart.com for several years now, and they have good prices, reasonable shipping, and very good service on one time when I had a battery fail prematurely.

Try www.batterymart.com Toll-Free: 800-405-2121 They are located in Virginia, so shipping will be less for you than for us on the Left Coast...

Best wishes.

Rob

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Another place to check is your local farm supply store, Tractor Supply Co., etc. Farmers use some of these same batteries for their electric fences.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I used http://www.techbatterysolutions.com/ happy with them. Price was right, although they do charge shipping.

Thanks
    Batteries Plus is another store where batteries can be recycled, replaced and they will install them for a small fee. I am a bit wary of replacing lead-acid batteries myself in any recent UPS, but if you feel more confident, by all means do what you feel is most economical. But do make sure you recycle the old batteries.
    -- Bob Primak --

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    They may be the same size, and they have have the same amp-hours, but lead acid batteries can be substantially different in terms of total capacity, charging profile, and life expectancy. In most cases, you get what you pay for.

An example....any cheap battery can give you 150 mA for a week, which can be multiplied out to 7.2Ah. But NOT all UPS-sized batteries ("compatibles") can give you 7.2 amps for an hour, and remain at an appropriate voltage. Again, you pay for that ability.
    Last edited by John-O; 2012-05-11 at 10:53.

New Lounger
    Thanks

To DrWho

I take it you cracked-open your APC. Did you have any further modifications to the APC box? Can you provide a picture or instructions as I think this is a great idea!
    Thanks,
    Ron

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A few thoughts

1. I've seen allegations that replacing a UPS battery with one of significantly higher capacity could be dicey because a UPS is often built assuming that cooling requirements need only be sufficient to cover the standard battery's discharge time (i.e., it could overheat if the larger battery caused it to run significantly longer than its cooling was designed to handle).

2. While I haven't seen the corollary to this, it would seem possible that, once discharged, a battery of significantly higher capacity than the standard battery could place a sufficiently higher load on the charging circuitry that it could overheat and self-destruct as well (adding a suitably-sized resistor to limit charge current to the expected value after deep discharge could help here - though it might need to limit current to less than that value to compensate for the fact that the charging would take a lot longer and more than the normal amount of heat would thus build up if the normal charging current were used).

3. Using (especially, charging) unsealed lead-acid batteries inside the house can be dangerous - not only due to the potential for acid spills, but because they can out-gas oxygen and hydrogen (an explosive combination) while charging.

Because of these concerns I've so far limited my replacement strategies to batteries of comparable capacity, though have to admit that I've been tempted to experiment with ways to increase power-failure run times (e.g., improving cooling and limiting charge current as described above).

Thanks for the pointers to inexpensive SLA battery sources. I've also had some luck finding them on eBay (e.g., http://stores.ebay.com/1stwebsalesbatteriestoolsmore when I needed one for an edge-trimmer).

Thanks
    Well, I just happen to have an extra battery I was gonna use in my Jeep so maybe I'll try it on my APC unit.

Star, I see your point but I only need it to shut down in case of a power failure so my PC doesn't crash while in Windows.

I would have time to get the generator started and be back in business.

With the bad batteries in it now it has the tendency to shut down even when there is no power failure..It happened to me the other day.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rpinsc View Post
    I take it you cracked-open your APC. Did you have any further modifications to the APC box? Can you provide a picture or instructions as I think this is a great idea!
    Thanks,
    Ron
    Cracked open? I'm an electronics tech, and I even worked in an APC repair center years ago.
    And I've replaced batteries in more UPS's than I care to even try to count.

Four screws removed the case on the old style, steel cased, APC UPS's. It's not a complicated process.

Yeah, since I had two big wires running out of my UPS I didn't even put the case back on.
    That would have necessitated notching the case.
    Leaving the steel case OFF, also aided in the cooling.
    About once a month I test my big 600va UPS, buy pulling the plug out of the wall, with my TV
    and cable box turned on. Last time I ran the test, the UPS provided full power for seven hours
    before it ever started slowly beeping. I ended the test there.

The charger is current limited, necessary for Gel-Cell batteries, so there's no problem with over-current.
    As plainly seen in my photo, my two batteries are sitting in a plastic dish pan, so if one ever leaked,
    or I get sloppy when adding water, it would NOT get on the floor.
    The little bit of Hydrogen gas that's produced from the batteries is
    quickly dissipated by the ventilation in my house. Not a problem.*
    I pop the tops on the batteries and check the fluid level once a month.

* Any time you have lead-acid batteries in your house, keep them in a well ventilated spot.

The stock batteries in UPS's today are all of the Gel-Cell type, & they are sealed and they do not GAS and they do not LEAK.
    That's why they can safely be used in your living room, den, office or wherever.
    In many UPS's, the batteries lay on their side. The new black plastic cased UPS's have a trap door on
    the bottom for accessing the battery.
    You never open the UPS itself, only the battery compartment.

Some UPS's have a battery monitor circuit, that connects to your PC by a USB cable. Then software that you install in the
    PC monitors the charge level in the UPS. I find all that, redundant.
    I have nothing running on my PC that is not 100% necessary.

I hope that answers any and all questions about my UPS and battery complement.

The other three UPS's in my house, use the stock Gel-Cell batteries.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor

PS: With so many different devices that use batteries today, it's almost inconceivable to me that any town would not have a place to buy batteries. Not in the USA anyway. Look in the Yellow Pages!
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-05-14 at 09:51.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrWho For This Useful Post:

- bill (2012-05-14),Just Plain Fred (2012-05-14),rpinsc (2012-05-14)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One last question: I noticed an in-line fuse block, and was wondering what size?
    And thank you for this innovation and as soon as this battery dies, I now know what to do.
    Ron

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the additional explanation. While I may stick with sealed batteries inside the house (they're not THAT expensive and may last longer if the additional capacity keeps them from usually being discharged as much: are all SLA batteries 'deep-cycle'/'deep discharge' types or does one have to be careful when selecting replacements?), I'm now motivated to take a look at how well the charge current-limiters work on our varions UPSs and how hot they get over longer discharge cycles.

If I find that they all share a common ground on the DC side (or just let both DC terminals float) it might be worth considering a shared battery pool (if I haven't missed a potential problem there): we have several computers currently using separate relatively small UPSs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast