New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't get sfc to work

On a computer running WinXP SP3 the following error occurs when I try to run sfc /scannow

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
    The specific error code is 0x000006ba [The RPC server is unavailable.]

I've tried this on 3 separate computers with no obvious differences between them. It works fine on one of them and fails with the above error message on the other 2.

I spent most of yesterday looking for a solution without success, any help would be appreciated.

The Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service is set to automatic and is started on all 3 computers.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ehw View Post
    On a computer running WinXP SP3 the following error occurs when I try to run sfc /scannow

Windows File Protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files.
    ehw,
    Hello.... First is did you run from an elevated command prompt? If so and that doesn't work ....you may have to insert your XP disk if the i386 folder is not present on your OS Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A registry tweak worked for a couple of guys here: SFC /scannow error 0x000006ba – The RPC Server is unavailable

Bruce

Thanks
    Here some suggestions;1. Double-click "My Computer" on the desktop.

2. Select "Tools" - "Folder Options".

3. When the "Folder Options" multi-tabbed dialog box appears, select the "View" tab.

4. Scroll down to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)" and check or uncheck the box as desired.

5. Underneath "Hidden files and folders", check the desired radio button to show or not show these items.

6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks

nothing happened at all...i follow the steps but still not OK