5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to set auto logon in XP Home

My friend's OS is XP Home with SP3.

I tried to arrange auto logon following the method given in the following link:

http://www.wikihow.com/Enable-Automa...-in-Windows-XP

I restarted her computer but got a message "unable to logon because of an account restriction". When I clicked ok to that the scren then was the same as before I applied the method given in the above link, namely I had to click my friend's user name and then Windows loaded her personal details.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this so that she can auto logon? Admittedly, the fact that she has to click her user name and wait for her personal settings to load at startup is not a big deal, but she has to do this every time the computer sleeps.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Roy,
    Did you select the user's account name prior to unticking the box. Account must have a password. Or look @ how pc is set to log-on.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    For a trouble free auto logon, there is nothing like the free AutoLogon utility from SysInternals: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s...rnals/bb963905.
    It can also be used to disable auto logon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-05-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib, thanks. I already had the latest version of the utility you mention on my computer,but forgot about it.I will copy it to my friend's computer and run it and that should do the trick.

Regards,Roy
    OS Dual Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 & IE11 & Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit & IE11-Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB

Roy Whitethread

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Roy, the link you showed in your OP was the easiest way and does work. However, I suspect you followed the instructions a little too literally. In the pictures, you're shown the Administrator account selected - if that's what you did you will get the "account restriction" error in Home Edition (you wouldn't in Professional Edition).

Try it again selecting your friend's account's name.

If that doesn't work for any reason, download and install TweakUIXP - essential for XP users IMHO.
    Last edited by tonyl; 2012-05-06 at 17:37. Reason: afterthought

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    ruirib, thanks. I already had the latest version of the utility you mention on my computer,but forgot about it.I will copy it to my friend's computer and run it and that should do the trick.

Regards,Roy
    You're welcome, Roy.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi ruirib,TWEAKUIXP didn't do the trick, I guess because my friend does not have a password.However, it's academic now because I finally persuaded her to buy Win 7 Pro and I installed it for her.

Best regards,Roy

Roy Whitethread

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Roy, did not you try Logonexpert util? It should help

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Hi ruirib,TWEAKUIXP didn't do the trick, I guess because my friend does not have a password.However, it's academic now because I finally persuaded her to buy Win 7 Pro and I installed it for her.

Best regards,Roy
    Wasn't me who suggested TWEAKUIXP, Roy.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe I'm missing something, but neither the article or any of the comments mention the first thing I always check when the Welcome screen stops with the user login and there is no password. 99% of the time I've seen this it is because .NET 1.1 created an ASP.NET limited user account. So I always check the User Accounts, and I have never had any problem just deleting that account.

The article seems to address what is now an unusual situation: you have a password on your account but want it automatically entered. Almost unheard of in the XP Home edition

The only other time I can remember offhand systems stopping at the login screen is when we actually created a hidden administrator account: some machines would still log straight into the main account (even if it is limited) while some would stop at the Welcome screen.