Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lounger
    Thanks
    HI BlackBoxDemon

Guess work, you have WIN 7 possibly Vista as O/S (not WIN 8 or XP)
    confirm card is VIA PCI not PCIe
    Remove VIA USB 3.0 card
    On boot, USB Root Hub (5 in my case (WIN7) should be restored
    Make a list of "Universal Serial Bus Controllers:"
    Check USB 2.0 port with thumb drive

Re-Install VIA USB 3.0 card
    Boot up and see if Windows can find Drivers
    Failing that, install latest drivers for card
    In Device Manager, compare "Universal Serial Bus Controllers:" entries

Can confirm that on my WIN7 VIA PCIe system there is an entry "VIA USB 2 Hub" as well as 3 Root, eXtensible and
    5 x USB Root Hub
    Not sure about "VIA 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller" or where it comes in, my Controllers being all Intel (Dell)

Hope this gets you on the way to a solution
    (Restore system to before update? Which update?)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ups. Sorry for the lack of information. Windows 7 x64. The USB Hubs should be working fine, at least all the other USB 2.0 stuff is there and works very well (also my different USB 3.0 devices if connected to the other USB 2.0 slots). Screenshot of device manager without installed drivers is included. Will try your reboot with disconnected card and clean up the system some more. (I already cleaned registry and uninstalled the monitoring program... but there could be something left of course :-D) Thanx for the fast response to this old thread! Will post results ...
    Devicemanagershot-01.jpg

btw, forget the 1394 Controller thing.. has nothing to do with the usb of course...
    Last edited by BlackBoxDemon; 2013-06-21 at 13:05. Reason: forgot some info

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, Thanx for the idea with ripping the card out and putting it back in. Reinstalled the drivers and now that #@!*##*@!! USB 2.0 is back (see picture)! Any idea how I can make that thing stay there?
    Devicemanagershot-02.jpg

Lounger
    Thanks
    @BlackBoxDemon

Glad you have a result, no reason why it should not stay there... Should it disappear again, only you are in a position to troubleshoot.

Next time, try uninstalling and re-installing VIA USB 3.0 driver (without removing card) and
    if it reccurs you could use USB30CV utility (w. shortcut on Desktop) as a starting handle for yr USB 3.0
    (Windows 7 PROBLEM with USB 3.0 PART 5 - Rollin' News Rev. 1.0) Link in this post seems to have died
    Try this: http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...+News+Rev.+1.0

As a matter of interest, is your card PCI or PCI-e?

Let us know how you get on
    Last edited by zirc99; 2013-06-21 at 15:23. Reason: Typo

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There r a lot of posts about this USB3 problem. No answers - until now - maybe.
    I read a post about a problem with a wireless mouse. Someone posted an answer ref to an Intel white paper RE USB3 noise in the 2.4GHz band. The problem was only helped using some copious shielding of connectors and components.

OK, after trying every driver update and fw update I could find, I decided my issue with my PCIe to USB acted like it was a noise thing so I pulled it out, disassembled the PCIe connector, lined it with copper foil tape and connected it to a grd pin on the PCIe connector. Then I wrapped the tape around the cable up to the front panel box and connected that foil to the foil in the connector.
    It has not been a long time 2 hrs maybe, but it never stayed up this long from a boot.
    I am hopeful.
    If u try this, other methods and other metal foil may work. I have had this copper tape for a long time. Make sure ONE end it grounded preferably close to the MB. If u ground both ends u will get a ground loop and maybe make things worse. I might cover it with scotch tape to prevent the cable from touching the chassis, though the cable is much stiffer now.

Lounger
    Thanks
    @ ruggb

Interesting foray into DIY and Heath Robinson solution to a problem - Apparently, for Notebook/Laptop users
    (zapping MotherBoard & OR PCIe USB3 adapter/card a risk)

Desktop: 2.4Ghz Mouse in USB2: Ext HDD + 3 FlashDrives in USB3 ports - No Problems
    2.4Ghz Mouse or Keyboard in USB3 with 1 HDD/FlashDrive - No Go, whichever plugged in last, knocks other out
    Ie. Use Mouse/Keyboard only on USB2 - no advantage on USB3

If you lose your mouse at any time, unplug the dongle (USB2) and plug it in again (No Reboot ness.)

NoteBook/Laptop: Don't have experience of unit with USB3 ports
    Possible solutions: Use only USB2, for extHDD/FlashDrive/Printer
    Try another 2.4Ghz Mouse in USB2 port, they differ in quality

New Lounger
    Thanks
    the tests Intel did for the white paper involved using laptops. The solution RE wrapping connectors and cables with foil was not pretty, but apparently it helped a lot. I woke from sleep this AM and it is still working.
    u might want to read it
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...nce-paper.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So, the USB 2.20 part is missing again. All trys to get it back without dismantling the card are of no avail.
    @ zirc 99 : It's PCI-e ...

Lounger
    Thanks
    @BlackBoxDemon

Sorry to hear you're still plagued by your problem...

Response and sugestions, having looked at yr Device Manager Pic:

Woa! too many USB 2 ports/controllers for my experience: Dimension 4500/50 (4) Precision 490 (5)
    You have (8) - is that achieved with USB 2 Add on Card? How many physical ports on MotherBoard?

You have many things plugged in:
    2 generic USB Hubs - usually 4/7 USB Adapters
    3 USB Composite Devices eg Mouse, Keyboard
    A Camera
    2 Mass Storage Devices - HDD/ Flash Drive
    Also:
    There is IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controller - FireWire?

So, Ist Step - Disconnect all external USB 2/3 Devices
    Take out Firewire? Controller Card (For now)

Thinking that we are dealing with a conflict here:
    Reboot, have a look at Device Manager, then plug in each device in turn leaving Device Manager open
    and checking after each one (leaving USB Hubs until last (Can be dodgy)

Going back a bit, the problem seemed to follow inclusion of USB3 (VIA) Controller
    So here is a possible cause:
    The VIA version generates an USB 2 Hub could be (1) too many for your system
    Dispensed with my VIA card (Seating problem) for a Fresco Logic USB 3.0 Card and hey! NO Fresco USB 2 Hub

If no problems occur, for a prolonged length of time - It's Decision Time:
    Take out USB2 Card Adapter (if you've got one) OR
    IEEE 1394 Firewire? OR USB 3 - which suits you better?

If you want it all - try a non VIA USB 3 card - that won't lob in another USB 2 Hub
    That will mean spending money on a hunch (No responsibility taken, thank you very much)

ZIRC99

Added Nov5, 2013

With so many USB 2 devices, there is the prospect of a Voltage drop, depending
    how much power is drawn by attached devices

One particular to watch is the USB Hub (eg 7 ports - generating (2) Generic USB Hubs
    in Device Manager) normally supplied with it's own power adapter
    Most people don't use it, as it seems to work without it plugged in

Even with the adapter used, there can be problems - depending on quality of Hub

USB 2 Hub in Device Manager - USB Hub (Hardware attached) two different things,
    not to be confused
    Last edited by zirc99; 2013-11-05 at 09:22. Reason: added content

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So, fixed it the old way (rip the card out, clean system plug card back in and reinstall driver). I needed 2 trys this time. Seams the USB2 part goes missing if I boot up a few times without any device pluged into the Hub.
    There should be no powerproblem since I have a 1200W bequiet and only one gfx card installed atm and the 3.0 pce card has an extra powersupply. Except fo a usb2 hub on the chasis all the stuff listed is Mainboard. I disconected one other USB2.0 hub that I had. Didn't change anything I guess. Only devices I use are the camera, printer, mouse and keyboard appart from USB3.0 stuff I sometimes connect in the USB3.0 Hub. Well, new computer isnt that far of, hope the problem will be academic then.
    Thanx for the support !

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, installed xbox thing for a Game controller and gues what, the VIA USB 2.0 driver is missing again. Crap. Is there a way to tell Windows "DON'T DELETE THAT DRIVER !!!" ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12