3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access gets 'Tired' (Access 2000 SR-1A)

Has anyone experienced a phenomenon where, after fairly heavy use of an access application, suddenly a particular subform will not display? It just disappears.
    My cash till application does this with the subform listing the current order/price details.
    If you do a compact and repair it fixes it but this must be done every other day or the problem recurrs.
    I am using ADO based procedures - before I using DAO3.6 and I don't recall it happening with that earlier version of the application.
    The computer has 128mb memory and is an Athlon800mhz.
    I may need to provide more detail to clarify but I am hoping someone might provide a clue at even this early stage of figuring it out.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access gets 'Tired' (Access 2000 SR-1A)

By "heavy use", do you mean development use or just adding records? Is it possible that the "disappearing" subform is merely taking a long time to load? Is this a split-database schema (that is frontend and backend)? If not, I'd recommend that as first step.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Just adding records. About 600 a day. I don't call this heavy, but I use the term heavy because Access seems to find this tiring. The database was previously split into two and it then was even worse.
    Slowed down enormously.
    So I went back and unsplit it.
    I will try splitting it again and see. Thanks, but I suspect it to be something else.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

If this is a network, then the backend should be on the server, and the frontend on each local workstation. I personally like to have a copy of the frontend on the server, and have each workstation copy it down to their local drive each time they booted (I put a little .bat file in the Startup folder). This cures alot of problems.
    Mark Liquorman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nice ideas and I will try them in another situation.
    But they are irrelevant in this case as both ends are on a workstation (the cash till) all by themselves. The networking question doesn't come into it here.
    It's a very simple setup really.
    It seems that whatever the inbuilt procedure is that makes access display the subform, this procedure just is bypassed or fails without warning after a certain amount of use of the database.
    It's peculiar, but then so is everything!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, yes I have de-compiled and re-compiled and created a brand new database (not at all connected with the old one) etc etc but it still happens!
    I could try a new machine but this seems like an expensive option and everything else works perfectly on this machine - something I would not be too confident about on a new machine, ie it could actually get worse!
    The question remains, why does it happen on this machine?
    Anyway I will keep trying. Not one person has said "YES!! I got the same thing" which really makes me wonder.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>It seems that whatever the inbuilt procedure is that makes access display the subform, this procedure just is bypassed or fails without warning after a certain amount of use of the database.<<

I've never heard of this happening before. Which, of course, doesn't mean it can't.
    Mark Liquorman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Absolument.
    But the question remains: why am I always the
    odd man out with these things?
    Or am I?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I seriously doubt you're the odd man out - everyone seems to get stuck with problems like this after a while. One suggestion - split your database as Mark suggested earlier, and then make the front-end (the one with queries, forms, reports but no tables) Read Only at the OS level. We found this trick works pretty well with databases that seem to always want to go corrupt. You could also try doing a compact on close, but that may not set well with the users. Hopefully something here will resolve the issue.
    Wendell

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

>>But the question remains: why am I always the
    odd man out with these things?<<

I guess you are just lucky.

I still would split the database. I'd create 2 new databases, importing all pertinent objects from the old database, and recompiling the new frontend.
    Mark Liquorman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, I will try this suggestion.
    Just a point of clarification: do I make the
    frontend.mdb a read only file using in Windows using
    the Properties dialog or are you referring to something else when you say, Read Only at the OS level?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You are correct. Find the file in Windows Explorer, right click on it, and choose Properties, and check the Read Only box. As long as you don't have tables that need updating and you don't need to make changes in the design of queries, forms or reports (and modules too) you can get away with it. Doing that should prevent the front-end database from growing at all, or corupting in any way. You could also try making the front-end an mde which would shrink it in size a little.

The major advantage of having the front-end as a separate .mdb file is that you can develop design changes and then simply replace the front-end .mdb when you want to deploy a change, but it also lets you isolate the data from problems that develop in the code part of the database. Let us know if this approach solves your problem - we have numerous databases deployed with very complex subforms that are used heavily and have not seen the problem you describe, so it's very interesting to us.
    Wendell