Thread: Acronis Backup

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Acronis Backup

Hi All, I am confused about a backup result. Using Acronis true image 2012 trying to backup all of C:\ the back up results in only 40 Gigs when the C: drive has 67Gigs of data. I checked full backup but no luck. I tried 4 times but same result. Trying internet articles has not helped to clarify my understanding. Would someone here know why this is happening? I would like to be able to understand why the difference in the backup versus the actual data on C:\ . The OS is win 7 Home 64 bit. Regards Peter

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Peter,

There are several possible reasons for the difference.
    First would be the level of compression you set when taking the backup. If you have a lot of highly compressable files like Pictures this could account for the difference or at least some of it. If you have a lot of small files each will take up a full allocation unit {the smallest amount of disk space a file of even one byte will occupy} which on most systems is 4Kb. This space gets compressed out. Remember the default for Acronis is Normal Compression NOT no compression. The other and worst reason is an incomplete backup. I always turn on Verification to make sure this doesn't happen although you should have received an error message if this is the case.

FYI: My last backup using Acronis 2010 was 51 GB in size. What was backed up in used space was two 39 Gb system partitions (dual boot machine) and a 15 Gb shared Data partition. So this is about a 50% reduction using normal compression.

Hope this helps explain your outcome.
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-05-08 at 08:52.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,153 Times in 1,062 Posts
    As RetiredGeek explained, there is always some compression when backing up. This happens everytime with Acronis default settings. My desktop is using 230 GB of disk and the backup takes around 160 GB.

If you have verified the image, all is well and all your data has been backed up, no worries.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-05-07 at 16:14.

Thanks
    I can also verify the default setting will use compression. My 35 GB compresses to approx. 25 GB Image file with the default settings. All should be well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    My C:drive is 45GB without any items in the Libraries except for a few pictures. Back-up file is 4.62GB.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your replies. I had not thought of compression.So once again the experts solve the issue. Thank you Gentlemen. Regards Peter