Star Lounger
    Thanks

Patch Watch .net patches to xp machine

My trusty old XP laptop runs XP Pro (2002) SP3.
    Windows Update wants to apply two patches for .NET 1.1 SP1 : 2656353 ad 2656370,
    plus one patch for .NET 2.0 SP2 : 2656369

Susan Bradley recommended Skip or Wait when these first were available,
    but I do not see them on the latest problem-patch chart.

Am I correct in thinking that their absence from the chart means they are now deemed safe to install?

Thanks for any guidance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If they are not on the current list then Susan has said to go ahead and install.

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

aczer (2012-05-07)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If they are not on the current list then Susan has said to go ahead and install.

Joe
    Unless they're over six months old, in which case she may have just lost interest:

Quote Originally Posted by SusanBradley View Post
    I still can't figure out what 2603229 the patch exactly fixes. I didn't list it because I've listed it as a wait for three times and a skip for the rest. 6 months is my cut off time for listing it. For those readers that want to know exactly what an update does and only allow those that they understand, I don't have a list of what specific 32bit apps need this. I don't see issues installing it, I don't see issues NOT installing it.

I'm erring on the side of not installing because I'm not convinced it does anything. You can decide to disagree and install it. My apologies if I assumed that everyone would understand that unless I specifically said that a patch was okay after saying skip for so long that it meant to skip. I'd like to keep a long term list of those that "age off" the bottom list (as it's getting REALLY long list down there) but still working out some issues to see if we can do it.
    Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-05-07 at 16:35.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

aczer (2012-05-07)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice.

I went ahead and let Windows Update try to install. KB 2656369 was successful.
    But the other two patches, KB 2656353 and KB 2656370 failed with Error Code 0x643.

A search for that error code on Microsoft's website led to MS Fix It 50123. I ran that, and it did something in the background and seemed to conclude its work without any complaint.
    But after a reboot, those two patches still fail. Both of them are related to .Net 1.1

Meanwhile, the Secunia Personal Software Inspector program claims that there are still insecurities in .NET 1.x, 2.x, and 3.x -- and it suggests that all three would be fixed by those two patch numbers.

Any ideas about what to try now? Or should I just continue to use the computer and not worry about this any more?
    Thank you!
    Last edited by aczer; 2012-05-08 at 01:14. Reason: progress report