Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    Posts
    414
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Word no longer lets me run my macro

    I'm trying to debug a macro which is stored in my document, and I'm having difficulty with Word's security features.

    When I try to run the macro from the Macro icon in the Developer menu, I get a message box that says:

    The macros in this project are disabled. Please refer to the online help or documention of the host application to determine how to enable macros.
    I did that. The most expeditious approached seemed to be:

    1. Select File > Options to open the Word Options dialog.

    2. Select the Trust Center tab.

    3. Click the Trust Center Settings button to open the Trust Center dialog.

    4. Select "Enable all macros."

    5. Click OK to close the Trust Center dialog, and again to close the Word Options dialog.

    I did this last week and had no problems with it. I believe I followed the exact procedure above. Today I restarted Word and had to do it again, and now (following the exact procedure above) it doesn't have any effect.

    I tried checking the "Trust access to the VBA project object model" option as well. That also didn't help.

    What must I do to run the macro?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Posts
    3,534
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 147 Times in 140 Posts
    Add the folder (where the document is located) to the trusted locations.

    I usually put macros in a template and store these templates in the User Templates directory to get around the macro security problems you are having but you can also add folders as trusted locations.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

  3. #3
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sacramento, California, USA
    Posts
    414
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Thank you; I tried that and it worked, solving my immediate problem.

    I'm not sure how I'll make the macro available to users, though.

    I too usually put macros in a template, but in this case it's not an option. I've been, shall I say, strongly discouraged from using templates because they are too hard for users to install and use. So far, though, all of the alternatives for making a macro runnable seem to be at least equally difficult, and/or pose security risks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •