Star Lounger
    Thanks

convert printed text pages to excel columns

I would like to transform 69 pages of text (in 6 columns) into Excel. I can scan it and save it as a .tif file and then import it into Word. I tried the text to table function but I would have to separate every item on every line with commas (38 rows per page) to have this work. I am thinking that after I did this I could then import it into Excel. I used the MS Office Document Imaging and Scanning tools to do this. They only offer the option of sending it to Word and not Excel. There must be an easier way than placing commas after each item in each row (38 rows per page, 69 pages) to accomplish this.This is giving me an Exceldrine headache, can anyone help? All this because my town is so backward they can't figure out how to burn this data to a cd or put it on a flash drive (they say it can't be done and their IT person has tried???). I am using Office Xp. Urge

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi

If you could either attach a sample here in word format (or the whole doc) I am sure we can get it into an Excel format for you. Without seeing some of it there's not much I can do.

zeddy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a list of dog owners and their dogs so I don't think that I want to post it but I will type out a sample of what it looks like.
    CurLicNum* Last Name* First Name* Dog Name* Phone* Address
    1234* Smith* John* Lassie* 555 1212* 123 Main St.

One problem is that the spacing between columns varies depending on how long each name is. I figured out that I don't need to put in commas, I can use the spaces as delimiters(I think that's the right term) but the varying gaps between columns because of name length makes it not work so well. I am unable to line up the columns in the example so the stars represent the space between columns.

Urge
    Last edited by Urge; 2012-05-08 at 10:41.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi

If you have a word doc of the data, have you tried saving it in Word as a .txt file?
    Are you saying you have then already tried to import the .txt file into Excel?
    Are you saying that you have tried importing using the space char as a delimiter, and the cols are not all lined up?

We can give you some VBA code that will import a whole word xxxx.doc document into Excel, but you would probably need some additional help to 'tidy up' the imported data.

zeddy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Zeddy-You Rock! I used the MS Office tool Document Imaging (after scanning it) and saved it as a .tif file(the only option). I imported that into Word and saved it as a .txt file. I then imported that into Excel and the formatting was almost perfect. If the first page I did is any indication then it will be a breeze. Thank you so much.

Urge

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hi Urge

Rats! I thought we might have to do some VBA coding for the tidy up.
    Looks like you will be OK.
    Maybe next time you could post a problem related to cats.
    I believe they are somewhat trickier.

zeddy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What could you do with VBA coding? The only thing I had to adjust was the space before the address column. some of the addresses started on the left side of the column but most started on the right. Thanks again.

Urge