5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

DVD writer problem

I don't think this is a hardware problem, but have no idea where else to post.

Some time ago my DVD writer began misbehaving. It still played audio CDs, video DVDs and I could access backup files when required, but it would not burn new backups, claiming that the blank disc was a CD and there was insufficient space.

I suspected this was probably a software issue rather than the player itself, as months previously a pop up had stated that Nero 4 was no longer supported, and they had probably found a way to nobble it.

Not being completely certain it was the software, and reluctant to pay 50 for a Nero update with features I do not want, I bought a Lite-On writer with Nero 9 for half the price. I installed Nero 9, but not the Lite-on. Problem solved, the next two months there was no problem burning the disc.

But in April it reverted to identifying DVDs as CD, so I installed the new writer, but with the same result. Three attempts failed, and it’s not a case of faulty discs, as one of the discs has since been used to burn one act of an opera using my DVD recorder – the other two acts required a dual layer disc.

So, if it’s not the writer or the Nero software, there must be something in the PC that is causing DVDs to be regarded as CDs.

I have no idea what it could be, and would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Using XP, SP3
    Last edited by georgelee; 2012-05-08 at 10:49. Reason: add information

Thanks
    See if the infamous "upper/lower filters" fix helps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    I have no idea what it could be, and would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Using XP, SP3
    Hi George,
    If it were me... i would completely remove "Nero" and install this free program CDBurnerXP or from FileHippo I have not used this myself but it has a track record of good reviews .... I have tried "Nero" ( came with the CD\ DVD RW ) and almost immediately regretted installing it .. Was a real pain to remove too ... If you wish to proceed along this route and have any questions about removal ...Post back Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-05-08 at 15:40.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    See if the infamous "upper/lower filters" fix helps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry, but I'll try Fred's suggestion first, as this seems to relate to the PC not recognizing the drive, rather than getting confused between DVDs and CDs.

George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hi George,
    If it were me... i would completely remove "Nero" and install this free program CDBurnerXP or from FileHippo I have not used this myself but it has a track record of good reviews. Regards Fred
    Thanks Fred - yet again. I will give this a try, but will not have anything to burn until the weekend.

Just one question occurs to me at this stage, will CDBurnerXP be able to access backups made with Nero? I recall that my first ever CD rewriter came with Roxio, when it was replaced by one with Nero they were completely incompatible, and one had to be removed before the other would install. On at least one occasion I needed to refer to an old backup and had to change the software.

Regards
    George

Thanks
    The Microsoft fix is related to drive recognition.

Jerry

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    Just one question occurs to me at this stage, will CDBurnerXP be able to access backups made with Nero? I
    George ,
    Jerry's suggestion is correct ...I know nothing about "Nero's" backup capability ... However there are many who use Acronis, EaseUs Todo, and Macrium for their backup duties ... Don't know even one who uses "Nero" or "Roxio" for backups, and doubt that CDburner would have anything to do with it ... It's just a "Burner Program". Stick with one for "burning" CD's DVD's...and leave the "Imaging" to "Imaging" software people for backups.. Just my 2 ... Regards Fred

PS: If you want to stick with Nero... give Jerry's post a go..
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Not bad, for 2 cents worth! Hi Fred!

At least 90% of the time when a customer tells me their PC has stopped recognizing their CD/DVD drive, I whip out this little script and run it on the PC and it just fixes it.
    You can download my fix-it script here:
    https://www.box.com/s/uqrsvto6c4t4cecis7ya

This is a registry script and it's not compressed. Just download it to your desktop and run it from there. Reboot, and if if worked, you will be able to see your drives for what they are.
    Save that script for future reference.

Good Luck,
    The Doctor

Oh by the way, Don't flush Nero completely. The version that they put with new retail drives is a teaser and not the full NERO.
    After being fooled several times by that Trial version, I went ahead and bought an upgrade to NERO 8 Pro. I'm still using it today, for creating data and Bootable CD's and DVD's, and for copying Disks.
    For Creating or burning ISO's there is nothing faster and better than "ImgBurn" (Image Burn) and it's FREE.

Good Luck to you!
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-05-10 at 16:05.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, I don’t know what to say!

After two months of working properly, Nero 9 reverted to the old problem of recognising DVDs as CDs – hence my posting.

Today, before trying any of the suggested remedies I gave it one more go and it worked fine. I opened 1% of the files in each major folder and they are all present and correct. What’s more, the feature that annoyed me with Nero 9 has sorted itself out. With v4 I changed the recording speed from 20x to 16x, as that is the speed of the discs I use. In v9 that option showed maximum, but was greyed out in all previous attempts, but today it was set at 16x, and not greyed out.

Many thanks for all contributions, and if the problem recurs I still have the solutions offered by Jerry, Fred and Dr. Who to try.

George
    Last edited by georgelee; 2012-05-13 at 15:51. Reason: correction

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    George ,
    I know nothing about "Nero's" backup capability ... However there are many who use Acronis, EaseUs Todo, and Macrium for their backup duties ... Don't know even one who uses "Nero" or "Roxio" for backups, and doubt that CDburner would have anything to do with it ... It's just a "Burner Program". Stick with one for "burning" CD's DVD's...and leave the "Imaging" to "Imaging" software people for backups.. Just my 2 ... Regards Fred

PS: If you want to stick with Nero... give Jerry's post a go..
    Hi Fred,
    You seem to be confusing images with data back-ups.

You may recall that you gave me a lot of help in trying to get a WD external drive to work with Acronis or Macrium. As that was a complete failure I have reverted to backing up my data to DVD, for which I use Nero.

Creating an image on DVD is too much hassle. My one attempt failed on the last disc, the 9th or 10th Don’t fancy trying that again.

George

Thanks
    Just for reference, a data backup will do you almost NO good at all, when your hard drive has gone up in a ball of fire and smoke.

I know, that's a bit extreme, but I hope you get my point.
    When something has happened, that you need to replace a dead hard drive, your data files, won't get you going again.
    What you need then,is exactly what most of us Old Timers recommend...... a "Whole Drive Backup".

There are several programs especially written just for that purpose and Nero is not one of them, as good as it may be for burning data disks,
    making boot disks, copying CD's and DVD's, etc.

I use "Ghost 11.5" (for my backup program) which runs nicely from a DOS boot CD or Flash Drive.
    But if I didn't have Ghost to use, I'd probably use "Acronis True Image".
    I would install it, use it to make the Recovery CD and then un-install it. Having it on your hard drive is redundant, (worthless) when the drive
    has crashed. Eh?

Then the whole-drive backup, or at least the C: partition backup, must be on some easily accessible media, like DVD's, an external hard drive,
    or even a large Flash Drive. Your backup program must also be able to "Compress" the backup image file, to save space.

One big mistake that many people make when doing backups, is that they don't clean out all the junk before making their backup. That can add
    as much as five or more gigabytes to the size of the backup.

Personally, I delete every file that's not needed, before I do my own weekly backups. (Clean out the junk!)
    I even delete the Pagefile and all my OLD Restore Points. Space savings = over five gig's.
    Shutting off Hibernate, (if you even use it) will get rid of that Monstrous Hiberfil.sys file, sitting in your root directory.

Cheers mates!
    The Doctor

Thanks
    As long as you have your OS or vendor supplied recovery disks, you can get back to where you were, although it is a major pain going through all the driver updates, service packs, OS updates, and program reinstalls. That's why data backup is the minimum you need to do. Image backups avoid all this pain. But if its been a long time since the OS was originally installed, a new clean install can get rid of years of accumulated grunge.

Jerry

Thanks
    Yes, minus Grunge is cool!

I just did that, after many years,,,, I started up a new install, on a Scratch Disk. It took me almost a week to migrate everything I wanted from the old install to the new one, on a separate Hard Drive, so my original install was totally preserved in the process.
    It was only done because..... I could not get my new Video Card to install and Malware Bytes would no longer run. There may have been some other small things, but it's been YEARS since I did a full re-install and it was probably past time.

I did a full C: drive backup at critical points during the transition and I run a script in my Startup folder, to force a new Restore Point on every boot. So if I mess something up, I can go right back to a time when everything was working properly.
    I retain my old install in compressed archival form (Ghost Backup w/compression) on my storage drive. I can use Ghost Explorer to extract files or folders from the archive any time I need to.

When I got my new install off of the temporary WD drive and back onto my 1TB Samsung (permanent) drive, I was blown away by the speed increase. It was about two notches above WOW! I think I'm going to use that WD drive for target practice. lol That dog needs to be put out of its misery!

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=DrWho;853093]Just for reference, a data backup will do you almost NO good at all, when your hard drive has gone up in a ball of fire and smoke. /QUOTE]

When that happens it will be time to buy Windows 7, which will probably have to be next year in order to avoid W8. In that event my data files are all that will be required, as when my first PC was stolen.

In a way I look forward to being rid of a machine that can only be opened after struggling with a screwdriver, due to the side panel becoming distorted, and the front panel has to be held in place with the wide, brown sticky tape normally used on parcels.

If you are interested you can take a look at my previous thread – 49 postings from Jan to May – which cover the whole sorry saga of my attempts to get a WD external drive to produce an image which could be accessed by a new hard drive for testing purposes. That will explain why I have given up the idea of imaging this 8.5 year old PC, and why the external drive has been put back in its box.

George
    Last edited by georgelee; 2012-05-15 at 12:45. Reason: duplication