Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redo.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Redo.

Hello.
    This afternoon, I had to reinstall W-8, in toto ! D/L the stuff from the site and install. This was due to the fact that I kept getting a warning dialog saying that I had on this machine, no " Debugger, install one now ". I kept closing this dialog, repeatedly. It would not go away.
    I then decided to do a Refresh, the old Restore. It aborted saying that there was an error in the completion of the operation. From that point on, nothing would run.
    I thought that I had a clone of the C:\, I could not find it. I have one now and labeled.
    What is this warning from Esent ? I had tried to Google for it but did not find what I was looking for and that prompted the Refresh.
    I do not get this dialog now, from Esent. Has anybody else seen this ? Computors are fun !
    I have an .iso saying W-8 32 bit. Is this the same as for the 64 bitness, meaning would it have installed the works and saved me the 1:45 hour D/L ? Did I mislabel the DVD ?
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-05-08 at 19:21.

Thanks
    There are 2 separate downloads, one for 32 Bit and one for 64 Bit. The official MS download site is here. When you burn the iso file to DVD choose a slow burn rate (4X max rate). It might be a good idea to check the Sha 1 Hash as well. I use Hash Tab for this chore. (Once you install Hash Tab, Right Click on the iso file and select properties. Notice a new Tab called File Hashes)

See if this Google search helps for your error message.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Esent..

Thanks Ted for the information. The system is smart, it installed the proper version. I will not need this any more as I now have a clone. Live and learn !

I did not get this dialog anymore on this new install, touch wood. It also once more, accepted my Vid car driver and I am on 1920 x 1080, let us hope that this type of driver will be in the RTM version, again, I might not see it, I would revert back to W-7, yes, I have a clone. ;-)

Thanks
    Be prepared, the Win 8 RP is due to be released in early June. This next beta will require a clean install. A some point in time after this release the Win 8 CP will deactivate. I suspect some of the little nuisances will be fixed for the next beta release as well as some major work with the Metro apps. I personally do not care about the Metro apps, but others do. If you get all your stuff ready, the install should be relatively painless. The most painful part will be downloading the new iso file. I am really looking forward to this new beta to see what changes are in store and what is not being changed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

RP.

Hello Ted.
    I will go RP just for the fun of it and my own information. As far as going RTM when it comes, it will be a debate here between myself and my wallet. I would go RTM if they provide some incentive as they ( MS ) had for W-7. I got a 3 license DVD and two of my friends benefited from this move, free to them.
    The aggravation of W-8 at present not honouring some older apps would be my block, I am used to Paint Shop Pro-6 and Acrobat 5 and would like to keep using them, the old dog syndrome. I was able to again have PSP and A-5 recognized as XP-SP3 apps in W-8 using the Compatibility option, they run fine and if I can do this on RTM then all the better. How can I find out before buy a key ? Maybe RP would let me find out.

I do not care much for the Metro either, at the moment, all that I have on the screen is Desktop, an Enter gets me to a simili-W-7 operation.

I guess that I am blowing my old dog syndrome with all this work on W-8 !

Thanks for the URL on ESENT. I read a few but it really did not cure my hesitation, I still have to find out what/where it enters into the machine. No repeat on this redo of W-8 of yesterday.

You be good.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-05-09 at 10:14.

Thanks
    Darn, being good is seldom fun! LOL There have been some unexpected benefits. Some of those using the 32 Bit version have been able to get old 16 Bit games to work. I know Dr. Who has an old Majhong game (Sorry if the spelling is wrong, spell check went nuts with this) he was able to install and play.

I also have not decided on the RTM yet. I will not until October at this point, and the cost, as you say.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Clean boot.

Hello Ted.
    From out of the boonies, a small note. I bug you as you were the one showing me how to do a clean boot, ie: msconfig and "Hide all MS stuff". It works fine as far as redoing a new boot, I find that the check in the small box is gone and all MS services are checked again.

Is there a step that I missed here ? Yours truly and do not be good. JP.

Thanks
    JP, I am unsure what you are talking about. You might be thinking of someone else here. Is this what you are talking about:

services.jpg

If so, as you can see mine are all checked as well, but they are not all running. I have them set to the default settings for now. The hide all MS services is unchecked. If this is not what you are talking about, then I am somewhat lost here, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    It's "Mah Jongg".

I love playing this game. I play it for about an hour a day to keep my 'Hand-Eye' co-ordination as acute as possible.
    At almost 69, that's something that is VERY important.
    Avove is just one of my many Windows 8 Desktops.

Back on topic:

I erroneously grabbed the wrong CD, when I installed Win-8/CP on a seven year old Compaq Desktop. The DVD was the 64 bit version, but the old Compaq is only 32 bit, with 512meg of ram and a 40 gig IDE hard drive.
    I have no idea why, but Win-8/CP/64 loaded and ran on that old PC with narry a problem. I guess it's more intuitive than I had expected.

But I'm TESTING Win-8/CP/64, on a separate hard drive, on my main PC, and not running it as my only OS, as so many have erroneously done. I have NO email and NO data files on Win-8. I have saved a few screen shots, but I saved them on Partition #2, which will still be there, even after I've reformatted the C: partition and installed the next version of Win-8.

The biggest problem with Win-8, that I've seen so far, is that so many people that are running it, are not experienced BETA Testers and really have NO CLUE what they're doing.

I guess they will find out, when all these BETA TEST versions of Win-8 go dead, one of these days. (and they are forced to either BUY the RETAIL version of Win-8, or reinstall their old OS.)

That should get interesting! Eh Ted?

Cheers Mate!
    The Doctor

PS: I have a whole set of tweaks for Windows 7 which still work great for Win-8. Part of that setup is to shut down almost 40 redundant services. See the "Black Viper" web site for what's safe to shut down or put into Manual mode.
    Or, just download "Windows 7 Stuff" from my web site. Everything I use to set up and tweak Win-7 in in that one .rar file.
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-05-27 at 11:40.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good morning, Ted.

>>> I am unsure what you are talking about. You might be thinking of someone else here. Is this what you are talking about:

Yes this is it. Maybe it was Joe517 who mentioned this clean boot. Anyway, after selecting them all to "Hide", they spring back up to set after a reboot, there is then no way to have a clean boot. Maybe it was ruibi that also mentioned this for a fast, at least a quicker boot. I will go to the Win-7 site and question him.

Do not be good. JP.

Thanks
    I suspect the unhide option is default and always goes back to default after a reboot, but as I said whether you hide them or unhide them, it appears this does not stop them from running. As you can see in my list, they are all checked, but some of them are running and some of them are stopped. I guess I do not see what this has to do with safe boot.

There is a procedure to add Safe Boot to the Win 8 Boot Loader. I do not know if this will help you or not.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Redo revisited.

Good morning, Ted.

Just to keep this alive, a redo, I have selected it as a continuation of my previous experience in spite of this one being a little different. Yesterday, all I got on a screen as BSoD, no, not blue, black. I could not do anything to get it going to Desktop and thus enjoy W-8. I was able to Win-key and got to All Apps. I clicked on "Refresh" and watched it going through its spaces. After 1 hour, it presented me with a working screen, it did not reset all as I had previously set up, the Vid-Card driver was again not installed, I had it in the C:\ and just clicked it going. JP 1, W-8 0.

At that time, none of my icons were displayed, the Refresh did not install both DVD-RWs, just the one. My other HD, the clone destination was F:\ before and now was made D:\ and all other devices were moved down one letter. I that point, I was a little flustered and turn the machine OFF, inserted an Acronis CD, connected my clone HD and after 11 minutes, I had a fully operating machine. Long live cloning.

Refresh, in my mind has a way to go, it is not "yet" up to Restore performance and will not convince me that it could replace a clone process. This long winded post is just to bring whosoever would be interested attention that Refresh is not the answer to a blocked machine, yet !

Thanks
    Just another part of Win 8 CP not quite yet finished. We have heard that Win 8 RP should be out on June 1st. This will require a clean install as well. Perhaps this will clear up some of the problems.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks

Cool

I was just going to say, "A complete RE-Install is the answer to lots of questions and problems".
    In just a few days, or weeks, we'll all have the opportunity to do it all again. Yeah!

I just did one install (on an old, spare, WD hard drive) to prove that Win-8 can indeed be installed onto a totally BLANK hard drive.
    (like one that just came out of the factory, with NO partitions and NO formatting)
    It WAS necessary to use the "Custom" install option and then click on the *NEW icon to force the installer to partition and format the hard drive.

On a TEST version like this, a re-install should not be a problem. I've re-installed Win-8 at least six times so far and it just helps me become familiar with the process, so I can do it in the future without screwing it up.
    Experience is truly, the best teacher.

Last edited by DrWho; 2012-05-27 at 12:01.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, hello.
    You wrote : This will require a clean install as well. For sure but this entails a few hours of sitting at the desk and is like watching grass grow. I was rather pleased with the 11 minutes of cloning back this fine OS. Thanks for your moral support. JP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast