5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Beating back Duqu and a plethora of other threats

PATCH WATCH

Beating back Duqu and a plethora of other threats

By Susan Bradley

May's Patch Tuesday brings us an exceptional bloom of Windows updates.

One bulletin alone has eight patches to combat the Duqu malware — plan some time to work through this crop.

The full text of this column is posted at https://windowssecrets.com/patch-wat...patch-tuesday/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Kathleen Atkins; 2013-02-11 at 18:49.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Question Additional 5/8/12 updates

I was offered the following updates on 5/8 that I couldn't find in Susan's 5/10 Patch Watch: KB982726 (Office 2010), KB2597166 (Excel 2010), KB2553371 (Office 2010), KB2589345 (OneNote 2010). Any chance that Susan has recommendations for them?
    Last edited by bethel95; 2012-05-10 at 11:12.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Copying exact content

I like to copy Patch Watch and take it home to my other computers. For some reason the formatting is not carrying over to Word 2003. It has been working fine in the past, but for some reason which I can't figure out, I am only getting text in the word document.
    Normally the table with all of the recommendations to ignore, install, etc is carried over into a table automatically along with the links. Now it is not. Any ideas?
    I have attached a word document as an example of how it normally works
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen Atkins View Post
    The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/beating-back-duqu-and-a-plethora-of-other-threats/ (opens in a new window/tab).
    That link is broken (AGAIN!)

Should read http://windowssecrets.com/patch-watc...patch-tuesday/

Would it really be too difficult to click the article links after posting in the forum to make sure they work?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-05-10 at 13:41.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I was offered the following updates on 5/8 that I couldn't find in Susan's 5/10 Patch Watch: KB982726 (Office 2010), KB2597166 (Excel 2010), KB2553371 (Office 2010), KB2589345 (OneNote 2010). Any chance that Susan has recommendations for them?
    The first three of those can be found by searching the newsletter archives for the number. Two of them ARE mentioned in this week's patch watch. All should be installed a.s.a.p.

The last (OneNote) is not a security patch but a minor bug fix, so Susan chooses to ignore it for patch watch purposes (making life more difficult for all of us.)

Bruce

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    I like to copy Patch Watch and take it home to my other computers. For some reason the formatting is not carrying over to Word 2003. It has been working fine in the past, but for some reason which I can't figure out, I am only getting text in the word document.
    Normally the table with all of the recommendations to ignore, install, etc is carried over into a table automatically along with the links. Now it is not. Any ideas?
    I have attached a word document as an example of how it normally works
    I typically do a copy&paste into Word 2003 like the attachment.
    My security settings require CTRL+click to access the links from Word.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DrRon; 2012-05-10 at 14:17. Reason: add attachment

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The MS link at the top of the web patch chart is to last month's patches (yet it's correct in the newsletter ).

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    Noticed a new MS update this week that wasn't there with the May 8 releases: KB 2636927, another Silversight security update. After much searching, I found it in the May 16th update of MS12-034, where it says that it replaces KB 2690729, one of the recommended MS12-034 "installs" in the May 10 Patch column.

No problem with the original, so I'm assuming I go ahead and install the replacement. Is this OK?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarciaG View Post
    Noticed a new MS update this week that wasn't there with the May 8 releases: KB 2636927, another Silversight security update. After much searching, I found it in the May 16th update of MS12-034, where it says that it replaces KB 2690729, one of the recommended MS12-034 "installs" in the May 10 Patch column.

No problem with the original, so I'm assuming I go ahead and install the replacement. Is this OK?

Thanks.
    That update was in MS Security Bulletin MS12-034 from May 8, but it's for Silverlight 5 whereas the one listed in the patch column is for Silverlight 4.

I think which update you get just depends on which version you have installed; I installed KB 2636927 for Silverlight 5 on May 9 without any issues.

Both those updates are shown as the latest for their respective versions as of May 8 at Microsoft SilverlightTM Release History

Bruce

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Bruce.

The strange thing about KB2636927 is that it wasn't in the batch of updates MS sent to me May 8th (the update for Silverlight 4 was, and it was successfully installed), but then it showed up as a new update some time after that. And it got stranger. After your response, I downloaded it, but got no "install" command and none appeared when I turned off my computer. The update then totally disappeared, with no record of it any place on my computer -- not back in Updates, not shown as a failed install, not in the list of installed updates. And, when I checked, it appears I have Silverlight 4, not 5. So ????. Oh, well.

Anyway, thanks, again.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MarciaG View Post
    Thanks, Bruce.

The strange thing about KB2636927 is that it wasn't in the batch of updates MS sent to me May 8th (the update for Silverlight 4 was, and it was successfully installed), but then it showed up as a new update some time after that. And it got stranger. After your response, I downloaded it, but got no "install" command and none appeared when I turned off my computer. The update then totally disappeared, with no record of it any place on my computer -- not back in Updates, not shown as a failed install, not in the list of installed updates. And, when I checked, it appears I have Silverlight 4, not 5. So ????. Oh, well.

Anyway, thanks, again.
    I guess your first Silverlight update incorrectly triggered the second one, but that was then somehow put right either automatically or after general manual intervention.

Given the possible combinations of programs and windows versions, I think it's amazing that Windows Update works as well as it does most of the time.

But the documentation to make sense of it all when a glitch does occur could certainly be simplified for everyone's benefit.

Bruce