5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live is dead get over it!

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Windows Live is dead get over it!

By Woody Leonhard

Last week, in a widely anticipated move, Microsoft officially started tolling the bell for Windows Live's demise.

While the current Windows Live apps will be available for the foreseeable future, they're now orphans soon to be replaced by new Windows 8 Metro apps.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/woodys-windows/windows-live-is-dead-get-over-it/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Who in their right mind wants this thing called 'Metro'?
    It's like everyone has a petrol-fuelled (or diesel) vehicle and suddenly refineries go out of fashion and one has to go electric!
    Last edited by Poltor; 2012-05-10 at 04:31. Reason: correct typo

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live

What is going to happen to SkyDrive. My folders exceed the 2GB maximum for Dropbox.

Thanks
    Nothing will happen to SkyDrive, it's just the name they are killing.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-05-10 at 19:05.

Ken Kashmarek
    Less than a week ago, I posed a question in the Windows 8 section, with regard to Windows Live. No replies, but then along comes Woody with a kick in the teeth Microsoft answer "Windows Live is dead - get over it". Wow! Has someone joined the dark side?

This seems to be classic Microsoft strategy of EEE. Embrace, Extend, Exterminate. Well, exterminate in the sense that if nobody picks up Windows 8, then Windows Live is exterminated. I wonder if this integration, coupled with no alternate browsers for Windows 8 on ARM, will be viewed kindly in light of the past Internet Explorer integration (especially in Europe, where Microsoft was forced to make changes or face stiff fines.

Once again, my question...was this necessary...for Microsoft or for users?