2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NexStarFX Gigabit NAS Adapter - How to change to see NTFS?

Hi there
    I have found what I thought was the answer to my backup issues. It is a small network attached storage adapter about the size of a pack of cigarettes, into which you plug a standard external USB drive (its powered, so 2.5" drives work) and you also have a Printer server USB port added to the package! I intended to have this solution packed away in a bookshelf somewhere, nicely hidden away from possible prying eyes, so I have a safe, secure backup solution that will work silently, and will not be visible to thieves.

It has a web based administration system, which works fine, but there is one problem that I have with it, which kills most of its functionality:
    The NAS formats the drive that is attached to apply its security (otherwise it does not see the drive!). The format does not permit any filename longer than 128 characters (which precludes most of my backup as this includes the path).

Is there any way that this can be adapted to use NTFS permissions? The other restriction is that you can only place the files onto the drive through the network. This is a challenge as it means you need to leave things running for days just to get original 500Gb backup in place. I have a USB HDD that I was going to simply plug in to use.....

No firmware updates or anything available at the Vantec website, or on other forums that Google can pick up!

Any ideas?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Doesn't seem as if anyone has a solution!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Now found a whole set of new items that will do the job (apparently properly)... TonidoPlug and Akitio and Dreamplug2....

All see NTFS format drives, and will simply look up what is on the drive to share. Oh, well..... looks like I will need to pull out the credit card again!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    Now found a whole set of new items that will do the job (apparently properly)... TonidoPlug and Akitio and Dreamplug2....
    Photorer,
    Hello... Don't understand all the angst .. Why not just use one of many Imaging software's that are available for free. Just take a Image (Compressed )of what ever you wish, and place it on one of your external devices of choice? Might i suggest this one Macrium Reflect Once you have the image you can remove it physically, and put it in a safe location. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred

Just an image will not work. I intend to use this as a networked backup server for files that are updated on a daily basis on a couple of laptops. The data on those laptops are to be copied to this nice little setup which can be hidden away somewhere that midnight shoppers can't access = data is safe!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    Hi Fred

Just an image will not work. I intend to use this as a networked backup server for files that are updated on a daily basis
    Photorer,
    Hello...Sorry... I guess that i don't understand what it is your doing ...I apologize... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestions, Fred!
    I do also have an image of each laptop after the initial install. That will save me days if I need to re-install! Windows + updates + office + Adobe Reader +++++ can all take a long time to install!

The backups of daily data and work are what I am after now!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After much deliberation, I have also been looking at other alternatives for my purposes. I came across another little box.... the Thecus N0204 miniNAS - it holds two 2.5" HDDs and can do raid as well as a few other nice tricks - according to the reviews. It is not that fast, but since there is only an incremental backup required, after the first upload it should do adequately.

The question I have is whether this item will see the long path/filenames that I will be copying to it? It apparently uses something called XFS as a file system. Since I have never heard of this before, perhaps someone can help identify it for me?