Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Field for SSN (Word 2000)

I've been reading Ed and Woody's Office 2000 book to learn how to insert and format fields in Word. It seems I should be able to format a field for "Social Security Number" in such a way that I can enter "123456789" and have it appear (and print) as "123-45-6789." Automatically, of course. So far I haven't figured out how to do it. Any suggestions?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Field for SSN (Word 2000)

Lucas:

From the forms toolbar, insert a "text form field". Double-click on it and set the type to "number". In the "number format" box, type in ### - ## - #### (however, don't use any spaces, just # and hyphens).

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, thank you! It looks so simple, now that I see your response!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Leanne: I tried it, but I didn't get the results I expected. I created a new document (didn't want to monkey with a live one while I experiment) and inserted a small table. I chose one cell for the social security number; from the Forms toolbar, I inserted a "text form field." Then I double-clicked on the field to launch the Text Form Field Options box. There I changed the Type: to number. In the "number format" box, I typed in ###-##-#### without spaces (just hyphens and the # character). Then I tabbed into the cell and keyed in my own SSN without any hyphens. Then I tabbed out of the cell, expecting to see my SSN on display WITH HYPHENS...but it was not to be. Alas, I beheld a string of nine digits with no hyphens. Could this have anything to do with my putting the field into a table? What have I overlooked? BTW: Shouldn't I be able to make use of that "maximum length" box to set the max length to 9 digits? I tried it, but it didn't work either.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lucas:

I was able to get it to work in a table. When I typed the number in the number box, I typed 123456789 and clicked ok. When double clicking on the form box, it opened with hyphens in box. No, you can't set length to 9; however, you can set it to 11.

I'm attaching what I was able to do.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Leanne: About 10 minutes after I posted my last "aw-shucks" message, I realised what I'd done (or hadn't done) and I hoped you weren't on-line to read my message! Of course, what I'm trying to create is an on-line form--SSN is simply one of the fields for this form. I was trying to make my experimental document perform in a way that would work only if it were indeed a form, i.e., "protected." I went back and created an experimental template (a form), followed the steps you gave me, protected the form and closed it. Then I went to File>New, selected my new form and opened it. When I entered my SSN, it did indeed appear as I wanted! Duh-h-h! Thanks again for your generous and rapid response!