New Lounger
    Thanks

CD-ROM not accessible

When I insert a blank cd or dvd disk I get a D:is not accessible. Incorrect function when I click on the drive.I have tried everything to correct it. From uninstall cd-rom drive to registry hacks. I even followed directions of a techie online to uninstall all burning software on my PC. That was a waste of time. Restarted and same old problem. The Microsoft Fixit said my CD-ROM player couldn't write. Only read. Well I burn, write, and do anything I need to do. But open a blank disk. NO. Most of the time I am just checking to see if a disk is blank or not. Appreciate any and all help. Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, shipdog:

When you open a disk to see what's on it, the drive is looking to see something. If there nothing to read very simply sees it as information that is not accessible. So in effect the drive is not accessible.

Hard to beleive this hasn't been answered already.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jlprtr View Post
    Hello, shipdog:

When you open a disk to see what's on it, the drive is looking to see something. If there nothing to read very simply sees it as information that is not accessible. So in effect the drive is not accessible.
    I'm sorry to have to contradict you on that one, but that's not correct. If you insert a blank CD or DVD into the drive, the system will attempt to read it, yes. But if it's blank, there will simply be no response at all and Windows Explorer will just show a blank right hand pane.

If the OP is getting a error message, i.e. "D:\ is not accessible", it's because of a read error, not because the disc is blank.

@ shipdog7, if you right click the CD drive and go to Properties, is the "Recording" tab visible?
    Last edited by Xircal; 2012-05-21 at 08:01. Reason: Deleted question re: OS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Xircal:

Hmmm, I based my answer on trying it myself on my TDK cd-rom ( no r/w ) with the oem driver installed and got the exact error.
    I also just installed a dvd r/w but have not installed the software package yet and it gives same thing (however, it will play and read anything with something on it) and along with the error I also get the window asking which burner software I want to use, LOL.

When I open it in my other dvd r/w with the HP software installed I do get a "blank" pane with an HP logo type thing in it, but no error.

This was done on my desktop running XP sp3. Kind of weird, yeah?

Make your day a good one.
    Jay P.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check to see if there's a firmware upgrade available for the CD ROM drive. Manufacturers usually release one if the component starts to misbehave.