2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Explorer.exe hangs after access to files on another PC on home network

I keep most of my files on one PC at home but often work on another. When I access the files from one particular Win 7 system (only a few months old) reaching out to my 'server' PC, it is not unusual to have a problem. If I'm trying to email a file using Chrome, Chrome will pop up a DLL error and not send the file that I'm trying to attach. Regardless, look at one or two files on the 'server' pc, and I end up with 3 Explorer.exe processes, all of which are unresponsive. If I right click the taskbar, it too then becomes unresponsive.

Some background;

The PC I'm working on is a SandyBridge I7 mobile running laptop with 8gb and a 450mbps trendnet wifi dongle. Nice, new, fast machine running Win 7 Home Premium. Except for this. The 'server' is running Win 7 Pro, 16gb also with a SandyBridge I7-2600k (not overclocked), 1gb hardwired (ASUS P8P67 Deluxe mobo).

Once the problem occurs, I try to use new task in task manager to shut down the PC. It nearly always hangs at 'shutting down'. I'm using shutdown -r as the command. I eventually have to power it off and then turn it back on.

Possibly related; system icons, especially the volume icon, keep disappearing. I do the fix from the MS answer site of deleting the 2 reg keys that control the system icons and all come back just fine, but a reocurrence always happens within a week.

The laptop is fully up to date. It's an HP DV7 with HP printers and lots of HP stuff on it. Runs wonderfully until this happens. It is set to 'hibernate' (shake the mouse and it is up in a few seconds prompting for login or finger swipe).

Any ideas, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I believe I've fixed the explorer hang issue though I'm not 100% sure of anything.

1. The laptop is nearly always plugged in but was set to sleep. I'm guessing that there is a bug in the device drivers (at least for the wifi adapter) that is engaged on recovery from sleep. I couldn't clearly tell if the problem also affected the wired ethernet adapter.
    2. It may also have been aggravated in some way by installation of pdanet. It persisted after pdanet was removed but maybe pdanet changed some dll that was not unchanged by the removal of pdanet.

At any rate, after several days the laptop is still behaving properly, though I haven't done enough file attachments in gmail within chrome to be sure that is now working properly across the network.