2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 RDP password problem

I have been having network problems all day and need help. First, for some reason, I was suddenly unable to connect my laptop and desktop via the homegroup. Finally, I had to remove both computers from the group, reboot, and then recreate the home group. I am now able to transfer files betwen the two using Windows Explorer.
    My next problem came when I tried to access the desktop using the MS Remote Desktop utility. In this past this has worked (I did have some trouble earlier this week, but that was due to the fact that I had changed some firewall settings - they are now correct). On both computers the user name and password are the same. When I start Remote Desktop, if I give the name of the computer I want to connect to using this notation: \\abcd it then offers me the name of the user. I now enter the password and the connection is made. This tells me that it is not a firewall issue on either machine. However, when I enter the external IP-address, the user name shows up, I enter exactly the same password, and it then tells me the password is not correct. I am at my wits end as to what this might be. I have already tried flushing the DNS cache, but that did not help. What can I try next?
    Thanks for any help!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Are you sure the IP is resolving to the proper computer? Also, may I ask, why do you need to connect using the external IP?

As a side note, you do not need to use the \\notation. All you need to do is use the computer name, so abcd is all you need, not \\abcd​.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The external IP that I use is my own. I use this to verify that when I am not at home the Remote Desktop will function correctly. Although I have most of my files copied over to the laptop, there are some that I do not want to take on the road in the event the laptop is stolen.

From various forums I gather that RDP saves the credentials from the last successful connection. Is there any way to purge this information so that RDP starts clean? Also, if I were to delete all of the files ending in RDP, would the program then automatically recreate the Default.RDP?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    One way to overcome some RDP limitations (work through firewalls, etc), is to use Windows Live Mesh. The remote access client will look pretty much like RDP and quite surely won't experience those issues.

I am not sure RDP does what you say. It does save the usernames, but not the passwords, unless you explicitly save them yourself. You can also check the option for RDP to always ask for credentials and see if that helps in any way.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    HA!Found the problem. When I tried using the external IP-address, the connection failed. Yet when I tried using the name of the local computer directly, I could make the remote connection. Anyway, that is the situation I found this evening after a good night rest. But then I suddenly had the idea to check the modem settings. And sure enough, for some reason I truly do not understand, the port forwarding in the modem was now set to go to the laptop! Deleted that setting and reset it to my desktop, and now all is OK. Question remains, how in heavens name did the modem settings get changed? Maybe I will never know. But I think it is time to put a password on that thing!

Thanks for the help.

Thanks
    If you use Logmein or Teamviewer, you don't have to mess with port forwarding. Both are free.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 RDP password problem

You said: "the port forwarding in the modem was now set to go to the laptop"

What may have happened, (if you are using DHCP from the router/modem), is that the two devices switched IP addresses based on the order in which they connected to the network after being off/away.

It's best, when doing port forwarding to try to use static IP addresses on your LAN to ensure they don't change.