New Lounger
    Thanks

ScanDisk Problem under Windows-7 Home Edition 64-bit

Hello everyone,
    I have a Dell PC with a Seagate drive that is giving me some problems. Scandisk is attempting to run prior to the PC booting up Windows, but it appears that that it never gets started (or ends). I get the messages stating that if I want to abort press any key within x-seconds otherwise Windows will boot. If I leave it alone, the countdown proceeds to zero and then no other messages are displayed. I've left the PC sitting for 48-hours and nothing. I also see (and hear) no signs of drive activitiy.
    If I reboot the PC and abort the ScanDisk countdown, the PC will boot normally into Windows.
    If I runs ScanDisk, CHKDSK, DFrag, etc. they all tell me that I need to schedule Scandisk to run before booting Windows and it's scheduled automatically.

So I'm:
    1. looking for a utility to scan the Seagate drive and tell me what's wrong with the drive (and hopefully fix the errors).
    2. Unschedule Scandisk from trying to run (and hanging the PC) everytime it's now attempting to boot the PC.

Ideas?
    Thanks!
    Bill

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Bill,

This sounds like a partition that has been set as "dirty," thus triggering the chkdsk; I've forgotten exactly how to fix this (the "dirty" bit - sounds like Tracey Ullman - is supposed to be cleared by chkdsk), but there is a way - perhaps you could Google Fsutil: dirty, and see if that helps.

Zig

Thanks
    Open an Administrator level Command Prompt by going to Start > All Programs > Accessories and then right-click "Command Prompt" and select "Run as administrator". UAC may ask for a password if you are not logged on as a member of the Administrators Group.

Admin CMD Prompt.PNG

Type "chkdsk /r" (without the quotes); note the space between "chkdsk" and "/". Hit Enter. You'll see the following message:

Cannot lock.PNG

Type "y" (without the quotes) and hit Enter.

Reboot, and see if Chkdsk runs to completion.

Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    fsutil dirty query x

Ztruker

This sometimes worked on XP and should also work on Vista or Windows 7.

Click on Start then Run , type cmd and press Enter . Next type fsutil dirty query x: where x: is your boot drive. This queries the drive, and more than likely it will tell you that it is dirty.

Next, type chkntfs /x c: . The X tells Windows to NOT check that particular drive on the next reboot. Now manually reboot your computer, it should not do a chkdsk and should take you directly to normal Windows login.
    Once Windows has fully loaded, bring up another Command Prompt and enter chkdsk c: /r . Reply Y when asked if you want this to happen on the next boot. This should take you through 5 stages of the chkdsk scan and will unset that dirty bit. This can take an hour or more depending on the size of your hard drive, be patient and let it complete.
    Once booted back to Windows, open another Command Prompt and query the dirty bit again by entering fsutil dirty query c: and Windows will confirm that the dirty bit is not set on that drive.

Above from Experts Exchange

• Proposed As Answer byShaon ShanMicrosoft Contingent Staff, ModeratorThursday, October 15, 2009 2:15 AM
    • Marked As Answer byRonnie VernonMVP, ModeratorTuesday, November 10, 2009 1:43 PM