Thread: Num Lock Key

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Num Lock Key

What function does the Num Lock key provide? If it serves no really useful purpose can it be disabled,and if so how?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Generally Num Lock is set in the Bios. If someone wishes then to temporarily turn off num lock they would use the Num Lock key. This only serves a purpose on keyboards with an actual numbers keyboard. Many laptops do not have this feature and the numbers are incorporated directly in the alpha keys of the keyboard. I have noticed that newer laptops are now beginning to include a numbers keyboard once again. I think this is a great idea. I know when I went from my desktop to my laptop, I initially missed the numbers keyboard very much. Having the numbers across the top was not nearly as convenient as having a numbers keyboard separate from the alpha keyboard.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have noticed that newer laptops are now beginning to include a numbers keyboard once again. I think this is a great idea.
    I suspect that this is because of the wide-screen 16:9 displays, allowing a wider keyboard than those with the 4:3 screens which previously were prevalent.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Actually my laptop is a wide screen (16.4inch. 16:9 ratio), but does not have the numbers keyboard. For a while laptops did not. There is plenty of room so who knows. The new laptop I bought for my granddaughter does have one and it's actually slightly smaller. They probably had a large amount of complaints from consumers and added it back in. I know it was quite a shock not having it initially. Oh well, eventually I'll have to replace this laptop. The new one probably will have one again, or maybe it will be something entirely new.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    For anyone doing any kind of accounting work, I feel a number keypad is a must. I had to look a long time for an affordable laptop with one on it, now I see lots more of them out there.

Barbara