Lounger
    Thanks

Blue Screen after installing second HD

Hello, yesterday I installed a 2nd internal HD (WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX, 500 GB, 3.5", SATA 6 Gbps, 7200 RPM, 16MB), initialized and formatted the drive and all appeared to be fine. This drive is for audio only for my DAW and the pc is only used for music/audio production. I moved data to the drive and continued working on a current project and saw the expected performance boost that comes with having audio off the drive with the OS.

The pc then sat idle for the afternoon. When I went into the studio in the evening to put it into sleep mode, I saw it had restarted and was at the login prompt. I thought nothing of it and logined and put it to sleep.

This morning, I brought it out of sleep and went to get a cup of tea. When I returned, the pc had again restarted. This time I clicked for details in the dialog box and saw Blue Screen, OS version 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3, locale ID 1033. I navigated to the minidump folder and saw 4 dmp files there, 3 from yesterday and 1 from today.

I am making a quick assumption that the HD is somehow implicated in the BSOD. So this morning, I checked the driver for the HD (6.1.7600.16385) and it is up to date. I also checked the forum at Western Digital and saw a similiar problem for an individual who was told to jumper pins 5 & 6 to force SATA II mode in case the MB did not support SATA III. I was under the assumption, tho, it should auto throttle down. My primary drive is a Seagate SATA.

Before I jumper the pins, I thought perhaps I should check the dmp file for info. Can someone tell me how it is best to do that? Is there a downloadable utility?

Any other ideas are also appreciated to solve this.

I should note, I upgraded my OS from Vista to Win 7 last week without incident and all has been running excellently (actually more than excellent, since DAWs perform better under Win 7 than Vista).

MY pc is here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...334&CatId=2639

Thanks, Robby

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First thing...detach the drive and see what happens. If the BSODs go away then troubleshoot the drive/jumpers.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John-O View Post
    First thing...detach the drive and see what happens. If the BSODs go away then troubleshoot the drive/jumpers.
    OK, I think that is a good idea.

I was also reading some old posts and I saw recomendations to attach zipped dmp files in case someone could read them; so I have done that here as well. I have also unchecked auto-reboot so I can get info from the blue screen if it appears again.

I'll keep you informed and thanks again!

RK
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John-O View Post
    John,
    Hello...You could also use this free program BlueScreenView Read through the page on the website. Regards Fred

PS: It is also possible that you inadvertently loosened up some other connection when installing the HD.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-05-14 at 14:10.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi Robby, a quick Windbg gives FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9086_iaStor+2dd00 <- the Intel storage drivers as being the problem (your drivers date from 2008 - before Windows 7 was released! - update them please) - however, it also shows signs that another loaded driver may be causing 'interference'.

The Symantec/Norton software you have installed is my suspicion for the interference; uninstall it fully (also use the Norton Removal Tool to be sure) and install MSE and enable the built-in Windows firewall during the testing period.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

robbyk (2012-05-14)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the info; however, I am going to plead ignorance on this issue, how do I update the "Intel Storage Drivers"?

I can handle Norton and installing MSE , but I have never heard of the Intel Storage Drivers, do I do this at http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ and, if so, what exactly am I searching for?

Sorry for the lack of knowledge on my part and thanks again!

Thanks
    Not so ignorant I suspect, you're doing fine - you found the right site and area, try the auto-update utility near the top left on that page

Lounger
    Thanks
    Got it! Newer version Intel ICH8R / ICH 9R / ICH 10 R / DO SATA RAID Controller...my older 8.6.3.1004 from 2008 ( How did you know that?) and I have downloaded and soon to install the latest 10.8.0.1003

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robbyk View Post
    ( How did you know that?)
    There's an awful lot of info contained in those little minidump files if you know how to access it, details of drivers loaded are just a small part. BlueScreenview is a great tool for that but not very good for debugging (ignore it if it points to Windows files).

For checking drivers loaded on a 'live' system, (though the date columns are not selected by default) try DriverView.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

robbyk (2012-05-15)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred...thanks for that link. A veritable treasure trove.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    There's an awful lot of info contained in those little minidump files if you know how to access it, details of drivers loaded are just a small part. BlueScreenview is a great tool for that but not very good for debugging (ignore it if it points to Windows files).

For checking drivers loaded on a 'live' system, (though the date columns are not selected by default) try DriverView.
    Just wanted everyone to know all is well to date. The pc was put through it's paces today, a full mixing session with lots of data moving around the drives, heavy cpu loads, etc and not a single glitch and no more Blue Screens since the driver update!

Satrow, I can't thank you enough for the time, talent and expert assistance!!!

For now, it is looking very good!

Thanks
    No worries, Robby,

We like you to stay free of BSOD's for 10 days or so before we consider the problem fixed (probably less in your case as you seem to have pinpointed, changed and hammered the new drivers pretty hard already).

I don't class myself as expert or particularly talented, still a rookie amateur who's over-reliant on intuition (read: guesses)

Keep us informed on progress

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post

Any idea how to access the info in the minidump files?
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Bluescreenview is useful Clive. The best way to actually debug them is by using the standard Windbg tool from Microsoft.

This is how someone I consider to be much closer to being an expert than I ever will be does it: http://www.carrona.org/howidoit.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just as an FYI, Microsoft supplies a Windows debugging tool (WinDbg) in its SDK. It can be found at this location
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/wind...dware/gg463009

And check out "Part 3" on this page for a quick tutorial and how to use the debugger
    http://support.dell.com/support/topi...&isLegacy=true