Thread: Homegroup

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Homegroup

All 3 computers on my LAN were set as members of a WORKGROUP, my OS being Win 7 Pro 64 bit, whereas the other 2 used XP Home.One of the other 2, my friend's desktop, has changed to Win 7 32 bit.Neither my friend nor I need to access the other (laptop) computer so I joined a homegroup on the Win 7 machines.

When I open Services on the Win 7 machines I can start the HomeGroup Provider service, and have done so. However, I cannot start the HomeGroup Listener service on either machine. I get "Server-Service Specific error code 2147023143." How do I resolve this?

Apart from that, should I change the WORKGROUP designation of the Win 7 machines, and if so how and what to?

FWIW, irrespective of the above, each Win 7 machine can access the shared folders on the other.

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy,
    I was one of the many who could not get 'HomeGroup' to work on my 2 Win7 computers. Then I found a method that would work. File sharing.pdf
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Homegroup is actually slower than the alternatives (Fred Langa wrote about it). I see no need for Homegroup use, I have it turned off on all my W7 computers.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Roderunner and ruirib,I used the method referred to in the following link:

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...win7-networks/

and sharing folders between the Win 7 machines and the XP machine on my LAN works much faster than before. (ruirib, I assume the above link is what you were referring to).

Best regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Yes, Roy, that was what I was referring to.