2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium version 4.2 paid

I have just done my first restore for C drive - operating system windows 7 - and every thing is OK except that one of my partitions on the disc is showing empty. No drive letter in computer management. All other partitions on my two hard discs are showing OK. Any ideas what I can do to get it showing again? TIA

Thanks
    Have you tried assigning a disk letter in Disk Management?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrobert View Post
    Any ideas what I can do to get it showing again? TIA
    bobrobert,
    If you go to Disk Management and right click on the partition and select "Change Drive letters and Paths" ...Select the letter of your choice from the drop down list Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick replies. The problem is that the partition is showing up as free space and when you click on it the option is ...new simple volume. On this disc I had four partitions and apart from the C drive the other two were unaffected. The good news is that about 95% that is missing is backed up on an external drive. I don't like the thought of running Macrium again and losing the other two partition's content. It looks like the content is permantly gone?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    bobrobert,
    Hello...Looks like when you did the recovery with Macrium you selected to do the whole HD.. You have to be very careful at the selection time of what to recover and where you want to recover to... Not knowing which version of Macrium that you are using ..i can't say of exactly where you went wrong with the "check Boxes" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred the version I used is in the post header. I was careful to pick only the C drive because that is the only partition I have ever backed up and it isn't nearly full. Also I haven't resized the the partitions .Good news I downloaded a data recovery tool and it shows the partition and all the files .... Mini tool data recovery.Recovered about 800 Mb. So now I will have to shell out about 45 to get the rest. Will the forum organize a whip round for a poor ... about to be ... pensioner?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    . So now I will have to shell out about 45 to get the rest. Will the forum organize a whip round for a poor ... about to be ... pensioner?
    bobrobert,
    Being a "Yank" ( and a dull one) i have no idea of what that means.... As far as the other question...
    Sorry i missed that bit about 4.2 ..i "Kinda" remember it, used 4.2.3638 ( now using version 5's) .... as i have used it also many times and never had any problems with recoveries. Still think that you would have had to select the "Target" to place the Image on. Could you post some screen shots of your "Macrium Choices" Pretend that your going to do the same thing again... (Just don't "pull the Trigger") Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Are you sure when you created the Image you only had the C Drive chosen? On my Acronis Images I Image both my C Drive (Win 7) and my E Drive (Win 8 CP) in one Image, but when I restore I can only restore one partition at a time so I have to carefully choose which partition I wish to restore, then which partition I wish to restore to. I wonder if somehow your Image actually contains more than just the Win 7 (C Drive) partition??? Just a thought here. Other wise I'm a little lost what could have gone wrong.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The image I created was a partition of about 97 GB which has the operating system - windows 7 - on it and no data worth bothering about. The partition is a little less than half full. It is the only partition that I have ever created an image of, therefore there isn't anyway to confuse it with another. The only thing I can think is that somehow the partition slightly overlapped the partition that has gone " missing " ? On this disk I have 4 partitions. Probably one too many? What worries me is if I have to do a restore in the future will it recreate the same problem? Macrium don't have support anymore for this product. I will look into reducing the partitions to three but If I do this and the next restore impacts on a larger partition then the problem would be worse?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    bobrobert,

Hello... I can not read your "Screen Shots" ( Blurry and too small ) try just capturing the "Important part"

I have no idea why Macrium 4.2 would do this but then again i only have two partitions per HD... Why not upgrade to the new Macrium Free Version 5's? I have used both , and the new version 5's are better than the old version 4's Now can "Clone" and you can have (if you want) a WinPE boot disk...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred. Two better sized images
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred. Two better sized images
    bobrobert,
    Hello... I see that you have restore to "Disk 0" ...That's your problem ...You would need to select from "Drop down"just the C: part not the whole drive ... Your lucky that it didn't over-wright the whole HD... Like i said you would be better off with the new Macrium Reflect Free V 5's...Regards Fred

PS: It's also a good idea to give each drive a unique name...just for this reason
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-05-16 at 11:02.
    PlainFred

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred I don't get the choice to choose the C part. It seems to be the whole drive or not at all. I will look at Version 5 but it might do the same thing?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred I don't get the choice to choose the C part. It seems to be the whole drive or not at all. I will look at Version 5 but it might do the same thing?
    bobrobert,
    I don't know why ...Maybe the version of 4.2 you have is so old that it didn't have that ability...can't say i used 4.2.3638 and a few before and never encountered that problem. From a few versions previous to 3638 you could choose whatever partition that you wanted.. and that continues to present... Regards Fred

PS: Screen shot is of the latest version 5...( some of my HD's) You can select any place to recover to ..Also these are all Free versions.. never had the pay for kind of Macrium
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-05-16 at 11:47.
    PlainFred