Thread: email photos

New Lounger
    Thanks

email photos

probably the wrong forum, but I don't care...

28KB email containing 36 quality photos of cars.

Does anyone know how this is possible. I do a save as in Win7 Live mail and the first photo saves as 66KB (jpg). I am only opening the email, not clicking any link. They appear as most emails with photos. I need to know, I want to do it myself. Can't find anything about this online. Surely the WS gurus know something. I have broad shoulders, I can take it, if it is a case of cockpit trouble, please let me know.

Appears to have been forwarded twice. 28KB? It is still in my inbox, I will never delete this masterpiece. hep me hep me

Thanks
    What "exactly" are you trying to ask?

Thanks
    If you are asking how to save the photos, can you right click each photo and choose Save As then choose the destination folder to save to? This is how I have generally saved emailed photos.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I received an email with 36 quality photos embedded. The size of this email was 28KB not 2 or 3MB as I would expect. How is this possible. I am using Window Live Mail 2011. I've been pc'ing since 1994, I have never seen this before.

Thanks
    I get emails like that often. I just have to guess that someone knows how to compress the photo's so that they take up less space.

It's something I do every time I send a photo to someone.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    28KB and 36 photos?

It's almost certainly an html email with embedded links to pictures downloaded from a webserver rather than from a mailserver. The pictures are not actually in the email.

I can't recall in Windows Live Mail, but if you have the option to view the message source, you will see links to the pictures on a webserver somewhere and your email client is downloading them from host. If you have the option in WLM, you may be able to "mouse over" the picture and see the hyperlink - a useful security improvement.

Html embedded pictures are infact a security risk that can be used for tracking and malware injection. Consider the following all to real scenario: A spammer floods out emails with pictures embedded using html. A PC downloads a picture from a webserver that was embedded into that email email. The webserver logs the IP address of hosts accessing the images and hence the spammer knows that there is a live PC at that IP address. More recent versions of Outlook (for example) give you the option to download pictures and this is disabled be default. Perhaps WLM has this option too?
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Yes, that is exactly what is going on here. I have WLM and a Hotmail account.
    WLM and some accounts like hotmail will upload photos for use in email to a web based server for a specific time frame.
    All the recipients will be able to download them, but one will usually see only a resized or thumb nail photo.