Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Will recovery discs work on larger drive?

Hi,
    My XP machine will have to have its OS reloaded. Firstly let me fill you in on the situation.

A while back I had a technician install a 2 TB drive onto my machine. I download heaps of lectures and instructional videos and, believe me, they chew up the gigabytes like popcorn. I also need the larger drive to edit my huge load of material.

Recently my browser became damaged. My system has defied all attempts at reloading the driver. It also has other problems that are causing havoc. The only solution seems to be to reload XP, then work from there at reinstalling my files/folders and my browser, etc.

My computer came with a set of recovery discs. Before I attempt anything, would those discs work equally well on such a large drive? My original drive was around 120 GB. Trying to contact the manfacturer of the computer is a waste of time. You get no response.

I also want some advice on backing up my important files before I attempt a reloadiing of the OS. I don't have a backup program and will backup my files/folders manually by dragging and dropping them into an external drive. Can somebody please give me a checklist of the important stuff that I will have to save such as drivers, etc?

(I also have another machine that runs Vista. Its operating system is damaged too. I'm not having much luck with Windows.)

Thanks for your time.

Thanks
    What type of recovery disks do you have?
    Do you have a guenuine Windows XP install disk or an OEM type of reinstall disk?
    What is the make and model of your computer?

Macrium Reflect free or Acronis TI make good image based backup programs, and there are many more. I highly recommend looking
    into image based backup for the operating system.

Your operating system and all of the that data you talk about above should be completely separate from each other. If you all you have is a 2TB internal drive to boot off of, then you need to partition it and set aside most of it for your data. Ideally you should have two internal drives, one for the os, and another as storage space for the data you generate.

Drivers should be downloaded and stored in a secure location prior to doing a clean install, if not, they can be downloaded from another
    computer and stored on a USB thumb, or some other storage medium, like CD/DVD disk.
    Download your drivers from your computer's manufacturer, go to the website and plug in your service or tag number.
    Do not pull drivers from an already failing operating system, always get them anew from the manufacturers website.

Take a listing of all your installed programs and ensure that you have copies of the mission critical ones.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-05-16 at 00:39.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2012-05-17)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Recently my browser became damaged. My system has defied all attempts at reloading the driver. It also has other problems that are causing havoc. The only solution seems to be to reload XP, then work from there at reinstalling my files/folders and my browser, etc.

My computer came with a set of recovery discs. Before I attempt anything, would those discs work equally well on such a large drive? My original drive was around 120 GB.
    Ibex,
    Hello.. My XP Pro only take up about 10 GB including all the software that i have loaded.. You should place it (XP OS) on your smaller drive 120 GB and keep the 2TB drive for your Data.

Imaging is the way to go as Clint has stated ... I would stay away from the newer releases of Acronis.. 2011, 2012 etc. 2010 v 7046 works OK with XP, Vista and "7". It's not a free program but you can still find it on the web. Macrium Reflect is a good choice and is Free. Some Imaging programs may not be able to handle a 2TB drive ...check before proceeding with any you choose.

What "Browser" are you referring to? and what is the "Havoc" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2012-05-17)

Thanks
    The machine in question is a HP Pavilion t000 desk top model. Its operating system came pre-installed. When the computer was turned on for the first time, it displayed an option to make a set of seven cd recovery disks. I took the option and put blank cds in the drive while those disks were copied. I did put in an XP professional upgrade. The browser that I have is IE7 and it is definitely damaged. Even visiting your forum brings warinings to my screen that there is code, probably Java, that is failing to run properly and could damage my browser further. I have no choice but to risk it. I need the advice from the members. As for the browser, I have tried to reinstall it, but every time this fails. I have also tried to install IE8, but this too fails.
    Last edited by Ibex; 2012-05-17 at 02:00.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Ibex,
    Hello... Yes you can recover your original XP using the disk set you made ...However you will then have to reload all your programs, and "MS Updates" , "Patches", etc. Also you will then have to do the "Upgrade to XP pro" again, and do the same with the patches, updates etc. When a MS update fails to install (IE or other) it's usually because that you need a previously offered patch .. You can Install another browser in the meantime until you figure out why ...I would recommend ..FireFox What error (message) do you get when trying to install IE? Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-05-17 at 05:25.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    It's a real subtle message. It waits till I have gone through all the hassles of the reloading procedure, then when it is finished, I get told that the process was unsuccessful and should shut down my machine immediately so that the changes that were made during the reinstallation process can be undone. You feel like grabbing your machine and hurling it against the wall at times like that.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Ibex,
    Are all of your other Patches and Updates current? Regards Fred

PS: If your not sure Start with Control Panel and follow screenshots
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-05-17 at 08:54.
    PlainFred

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2012-05-17)

Thanks
    No. I haven't been able to download patches and updates for months. Again, when I allow the system to install them, everything goes through the motions of doing so, but the next time I boot the machine up, those very same patches and updates are again waiting to be installed. Now I just ignore them.

How does one go about uploading screen shots and such to the forum, Fred? That would make things easier. I don't have any right now, but if I knew how to do it, I would.

Thanks
    Last edited by Ibex; 2012-05-17 at 19:04.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    How does one go about uploading screen shots and such to the forum, Fred? That would make things easier. I don't have any right now, but if I knew how to do it, I would.
    Ibex,
    Follow the Screenshots ...Then Browse to wherever you have stored yours (ScreenShot) , Then click "Upload" then submit. Regards Fred

PS: When you try to install Updates ..Are you logged on as "Administrator"

PPS: Have a read Here
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-05-17 at 19:48.
    PlainFred

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2012-05-21)

Thanks
    Yes. I was logged in as an administrator.

I had a technician over a couple of weeks ago. He charged me $90.00 and did absolutely nothing. He was as useless as an ashtray on a motor cycle. He also tried to download a new IE but failed. He told me that my OS was damaged, which I already knew. I also knew that I was on my own. I wasn't about to pay him any more money and take my machine away. Who knows what he would have charged in the end to do something that I can do myself. All that I need is some sound advice before I act.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Ibex,
    Have you looked at the "PPS" in post #9?..Also I understand your frustration ...But we here do our best to try and figure things out ...Sometimes because we (Me) are all still learning it take's some time to do this.. Dont get discouraged ....Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-05-18 at 08:51.
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Thanks for your help, Fred. Computers surely are the devil's way of torturing modern mankind. Right now I'm sifting through my folders and noting down all of those programs that I have bought. Many will have to be reloaded from the Net. I am frantically looking for my receipt printouts, licence codes and download sites so that I can get them back once I have formatted my drive. There are so many! It's a nightmare.

What does "PPS in post #9" mean?

I was looking at your post on uploading screen shots and I have a query on the thumbnails. How does one include symbols like those blue arrows to the pictures so as to pinpoint specific areas? Did you add them or where they already there?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

What does "PPS in post #9" mean?

I was looking at your post on uploading screen shots and I have a query on the thumbnails. How does one include symbols like those blue arrows to the pictures so as to pinpoint specific areas? Did you add them or where they already there?
    Ibex,
    Hello...In my post to you #9, i added a post script (Post-Post-Script) It has a link that might be able to help you with your problem...Just click on the "here"

For "Screen Shots" i use a program called Ashampoo Snap3...( not sure if this is the full program ..i got it in 2010 as a free GiveAway) it has the tools to add things.. Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-05-20 at 08:28.
    PlainFred

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

Ibex (2012-05-20)

Thanks
    Thanks, Fred, you've been very helpful. I'm glad that I have joined this forum.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    While Clint and Fred have given excellent advice, using the system restore discs would be a LAST RESORT situation that could possibly be avoided.If you did your upgrade to XP Pro using an installation disc you should have the ability to attempt a repair of your operating system which MAY correct the issues and also leave your installed programs and data intact so reloading isn't needed. Even if you don't have the XP Pro upgrade on a disc, you can d/l an ISO image legally for XP Pro install disc from several place to burn your own non-manufacturer specific version.Definitely do image backups of your system, programs and data beforehand so you can at least get back to where you are now in case the repair option doesn't help. The suggestion of using Firefox as a replacement browser is an excellent one, and it could be a good idea to begin using FireFox and since I hadn't seen it mentioned in your posting - d/l and run Malwarebytes AntiMalware to ensure that the issues you experience aren't caused by virus or malware activity.The time you spend attempting to repair the system, even if it fails to help will at least give you the satisfaction of having tried everything to retain your purchased and customized programs. As you're finding out, it's nearly impossible to locate ALL the license keys and registration information for your programs, and the time spent reinstalling and then re-updating and patching will be considerable.Good Luck, have recently been in similar situation and repair DID work, hundreds of registered programs still working fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast