Thread: Tabbed Browsing

Thanks

Tabbed Browsing

Some time back using InPrivate Browsing, I pinned a site to my taskbar. That worked out ok, however when I added another tab to that one, I noticed that if I clicked on tools, then Use Current, to save the sites, the first site, came up twice. I at first thought that that was a little weird and a "feature" of I.E.9's InPrivate Browsing. This morning I opened another pinned site (w/o InPrivate Browsing) that I had put on the taskbar yesterday. I had also added a tab to it and then again clicked on tools, then Use Current. I found out that this appears to be a no-No!, as the same thing happened as it did in InPrivate Browsing.
    So in order to get that to stop I went back into tools and erased the original site, in this case it was tnw.com, and instead of clicking on use Current, I just simply clicked Ok. I then closed the browser and brought back tnw.com, and the other tab showed as it should, along with tnw.com, but the extra tnw.com page was not there.
    Guess I must have missed something when I read the how to's on I.E. 9................
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See the note above the URL box.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Joe,
    Attached are three screen shots.

Tabbed Browsing (1) shows the three web pages I visit every morning while slurping down a cup of coffee or two. Note that there are three pages listed, and no duplicate pages have ever shown up when I open this up.

Tabbed Browsing (2) shows only 1 page listed. The tab that is listed here is the second tab that opens when I click on the tnw.com icon in my bins. If I have tnw.com listed in there, it (tnw.com)will open 2 tabs along with the tab that is listed.

Tabbed Browsing (3) shows the web pages I have pinned to my taskbar. they are from L to R: Windows Secrets, Facebook, The Next Web (tnw.com), Personal (InPrivate Browsing), I.E: (See Tabbed Browsing (1) for websites.

I am using Bins from 1Up Industries, however what I posted occurred long before I started using that.

I guess what I am asking is why this might be occurring, as it appears there is no rhyme nor reason for it. To me it is random.

Thanks
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    When you pin a website to the taskbar a shortcut gets created that has the website url as part of the shortcut target. If you look at Internet Options | General | Home Page for a pinned website the home page box will be empty. There is no need for a hompage as it will automaticaly open to the web address that is part of the shortcut. When you add a url to the home page box you are telling IE to create another tab and open it to that address.

In your example #1 you get three tabs because the pinned IE icon has no url in it there are only the three urls in the home page box. In #2 you get two tabs because you have the url from the pinned site plus the one url in the home page box.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

t8ntlikly (2012-05-17)

Thanks
    Ok, Thanks Joe that really explained things ^5
    Thanks John