5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Trouble using GetAddress method

I'm using the GetAddress method to retrieve Contact info from Outlook (using VBA in Word.) If I work with one Contact at a time, I have no trouble. If I display the dialog box to use To: and CC: fields, I run into problems.

My code:
    Code:
    sAdddress = Application.GetAddress("", , _
        UseAutoText:=False, DisplaySelectDialog:=1, SelectDialog:=2)
    Debug.Print sAddress
    The value of sAddress is:
    Robert Alexander, Esq., Dr. David Sutton
    Anthony Adami, Jr., John Kamp

That's two To: Contacts and two CC: contacts. The To: and CC: contacts are separate by vbCrLf; Contacts are separated by a comma. But, as you can see above, there are commas in the Contact names, so I can't Split the line with a comma as my delimiter.

Is there any other way to retrieve the selected names so that I can then pass the individual names back to GetAddress to get the Contact info (company, address, etc.)?

Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is there a way to get the source of this info to separate the contact names by tabs instead of commas? Otherwise I can see no solution since there is no way to tell the program which commas separate parts of a contact and which separate contacts from one another. It is fatally ambiguous.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    From your sample, a dirty way to do this might be to replace the ., pattern with something else eg

sAddress = Replace(sAddress,".,",".;")

Of course this would fail if fullstop comma appears somewhere else other than between addressees.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think the possibility of failure is too great. "John Smith, Jr., M.D." would be an example of the pattern you mention.