New Lounger
    Thanks

.NET updates create endless loop

Running Windows Vista ultimate (yeah OK) and the normal Windows Update procedure seems to load and install the update(s) for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.x, 3.x & 4.x but then still claims to need to update .NET Framework 3.5 SP1. This is currently an endless loop which is confirmed by Personal Software Inspector (PSI) 2.0.
    So the various .NET versions that seem to live forever are not acknowledging they've been updated. I don't think this is a new or novel problem but it is annoying and if there are any thoughts on a solution they would receive my full attention.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birder56 View Post
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.x, 3.x & 4.x but then still claims to need to update .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.
    "birdperson"

As far as i know the .Net programs are built one upon the other ...so you would need the previous to install the new... If your programs all are running then forget installing any more .Net stuff . You can hide the Updates if you wish ...so they won't bother you anymore ... However at some future time you may need to install the .Net if some new program requires it (or some future patch) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    .NET 3.5.1 SP1 is different from 2.x, 3.x, & 4.x. Have you tried to download the patch from the Microsoft download center and install it by itself?

Have you examined the installation log files?

Do you have the exact error message?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you 'JP Fred' i appreciate that. Like many users, I could not understand why there were so many versions of .NET littering up Windows until I dug into some of the technical forums. It is a kludge at best but kinda understandable.

However, despite several days of faffing with the update loop, it suddenly has decided that everything is just dandy. It is never satisfying when glitches like this disappear without a full explanation but hey ho at least the Beast is happy for now. So thanks to all our readers but I'm sure we'll meet again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I must also thank JoeP517. And yes I did pull the appropriate patch(es) direct from the Microsoft download center but it also seemed to install and then fired up an error message I can no longer direct recall except it was to the effect that it had failed. As the problem is now resolved (hmmm maybe) I obviously cannot duplicate the error (until next time).

It is interesting that this fault only happened on my machines that still run Vista, the Windows 7 ones took their medicine from Microsoft without a quibble. Adios y muchas gracias mi amigos.