Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrong!

Banned Member
    Thanks

Exclamation Wrong!

I write & read in several tech forums & it leads me to the following...

To all those switching their existing, current, non-beta, 'daily driver' Operating Systems on their computer, to BOTH those who have done it or are considering doing this w/ Windows8... WRONG!! Windows8, whether CP (Consumer Preview) or Beta1 OR Windows8 RP (Release Preview) or Beta2, being released in early June are BETAS. NO beta OS should ever be installed & or used on a production machine.

This is being done over & over & it is WRONG!!

A beta OS can only be run, for test purposes, as a dual-boot, on a spare box or as a virtual machine. A beta OS can never be run as one's only OS on one's only computer!

Until the final release of Windows8 in October DO NOT throw your present OS away, replacing it w/ a beta version of (in this case) Windows8!

Many ppl are doing this & it is WRONG!!

Cheers,
    Drew

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I understand the point you are trying to make, but I am sorry to say it, you are saying in a wrong manner. You wrote such a general statement that includes people who will, willingly and knowing what they are doing, use the beta as their OS. It's too a definitive a statement and it is wrong as a result.

Personally, although I advise people looking for help with their computers, I could never be so adamant about what people can or cannot do with their computers. If they own them, they can do whatever they please, whether that is sensible or not.

Thanks
    It's actually quite impressive, if there actually are people out there, who are willing/wanting to run a pre beta release of Windows 8 as their main OS. It says quite a bit about Windows 8 IMHO.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Within the last week, we had a couple of consultants in to help us plan out a migration from Groupwise to Exchange. One of them had Windows 8 installed on his production laptop as his only OS. He's been pretty happy with it so far and hasn't had any real issues with it.

But this is a very technical person who full well knows the caveats of doing do so. However for the casual user I think that the warning not to replace your "production" OS is a good one.
    Chuck

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

My 2¢.

To Clint & Ruirib. I run this beta OS on two of my main machines and they run good. Mind you, I have clones of both of them as W-7 and when the 8 goes RTM, I will more than likely revert both of them to W-7, unless the cost is acceptable to stick with W-8.

What I think was intended here was a precaution to the unknowing, humbly stated here, who would run a single machine and then be sorry when they have no way to recover their previous OS. Yes, ruirib, it was not properly spelled out but the intent was there, not too transparent but there anyway.

Thanks
    Yeah I agree, I would never replace a rock solid Windows 7 with a beta, let alone a pre beta, no matter how well it works out.

Administrator
    Thanks
    The best way to have people follow your advice is not to lecture them or treat them condescendingly, that's my point here. Explain why it is a bad option to replace a stable OS for a beta (and I agree with most reasons not to do it) and the condescending tone won't put some of them off. The final decision is always with whoever owns the computer. Freedom and responsibility, that's my view.

Thanks
    Using the definitive instead of the conditional is "Wrong!!".

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Agreed, you can lead a horse to water but, not make it drink. As IT Pros we can only advise but, after that, certainly, ppl are free to do as they please, including ignore advice. There is lots of notice to not replace an OS w/ a beta but, ppl don't read. So, yes, the post is as a warning & grew out of our frustration from seeing so many folks doing this, only to rue it later.

Granted some may do it & have the beta run just fine & techies may know what they are doing & have plans or whatever in place so the future is not a problem, either. It's more in regard to lay people who are putting themselves in a position where they can't (still) have anything after the beta expires since they wiped out their non-beta OS & have no way to revert back to one.

Cheers,
    Drew

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew1903 View Post
    Agreed, you can lead a horse to water but, not make it drink. As IT Pros we can only advise but, after that, certainly, ppl are free to do as they please, including ignore advice. There is lots of notice to not replace an OS w/ a beta but, ppl don't read. So, yes, the post is as a warning & grew out of our frustration from seeing so many folks doing this, only to rue it later.

Granted some may do it & have the beta run just fine & techies may know what they are doing & have plans or whatever in place so the future is not a problem, either. It's more in regard to lay people who are putting themselves in a position where they can't (still) have anything after the beta expires since they wiped out their non-beta OS & have no way to revert back to one.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Yes, it can be frustrating . Access to more information is not always better, is it? I mean, with less noise about these betas, many not so proficient users wouldn't even think about doing it .

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Using the definitive instead of the conditional is "Wrong!!".
    Multiple exclamation marks are never correct either!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Yes, and used to be only us registered Beta-testers were involved. Then MS offered betas to the general public. They DID tell ppl how to handle them properly but, somehow that was missed by many & we had fun trying to deal w/ THAT scenario in regard to Windows7. I think when we beta-tested Vista they did not give it to the public (except for ppl getting weird ISOs from uTorrent & such & using 'hacked' Keys but, that's a whole other story). Yes, it is or can be problematic giving betas to a naïve public but, I think w/ Windows8 we all pretty much know it was/is a marketing ploy by MS to try to entice Folks to buy the OS in October by letting them check it out, hoping they will be excited by & about it. However, the idea was to "check it out" in addition to one's regular OS not, just plain USE it.

Also, look @ it this way... I recall when SP1 for XP was released. People were saying it was bad, don't put it in, that it broke things or things didn't work or there were whatever problems after installing it. None of it was true IF you read & did what you were told to do BEFORE installing SP1. There is notice from MS where you get the beta ISOs telling Folks the right way to handle a beta OS... problem comes from ppl not reading or heeding such info

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    I know exactly where Drew is coming from. You can put it on Billboards or sky write it across the heavens, "Don't overwrite your main OS with a Beta" and there is a group of folks that will go headlong into it anyway, like Lemmings going over a cliff. Then when the Beta times out, what then?

I mainly fault Microsoft, for ever releasing a Beta OS to the general public, that have no clue what Beta testing is all about.
    Nor is the general public prepared to protect their main OS while doing such Beta Testing. They can't even back up their own data files.

Again we will have another Beta version coming up in a few weeks and the current version will Die. I can hear the weeping and wailing now.
    It won't be pretty.

Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I do know where Drew and DrWho are coming from, believe me. We all write in another Forum devoted exclusively to Win 8 CP. It is absolutely loaded with people, one after the other that have overwritten their original OS and are having problems with Win 8 CP because they tried to "Upgrade" their OS rather than a "Clean" install. They are having BSOD or unexpected reboots or slowdowns or inappropriate graphics or any number of other problems.

I'm not talking one or two people here, I'm talking dozens if not hundreds. And none of these people took any precautions to back up their original OS or any of their data. These people are not testing Win 8 CP, they are running Win 8 CP. I believe they think MS has released Win 8 CP as a new "free" OS for everyone. It does not matter how often we try to recommend how to install Win 8 CP and how to protect themselves from disaster, they just do not understand.

Rui, yes they can do what they wish with their PC's, but it will be us they come to for help to solve their problems. If we can prevent some of their problems ahead of time then perhaps it is necessary to speak plainly to them. These individuals have to realize this is NOT a released OS and does indeed have problems. Most of those downloading and upgrading to Win 8 CP have no idea what a beta OS is let alone what it means to use one. This is partly due to a lack of information, not too much information.

And yes Rich, if Win 8 CP is installed correctly, it runs quite well. I am using it full time on my laptop without problem. But I do know how to recover from disaster. I have not overwritten my main OS, and I am prepared to Clean Install Win 8 RP when it is released. Unfortunately most of these individuals will be shocked when their Beta OS deactivates at some point in time (last I heard was just after the first of the year although that is not definitive).

So I guess I have to agree with Drew. Perhaps speaking plainly with these individuals will create hard feelings with a few, but it might very well keep many from hosing their systems to install this new "free" OS from MS.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I guess it could also be said that Microsoft opened the flood gates and all the wrong people started rushing in to check out the Windows 8 RTM.
    After all everyone knows the majority of these users never read anything to begin with.
    They should have confined their release to those more knowlagable beta testing users as they traditionally have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast