4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What are index.dat files?

What are index.dat files, and do they need to be cleaned out on a regular basis?
    If so, how do they get deleted, and is there any chance my system could be damaged in some way?
    My Os is windows 7 Pro. All help appreciated.
    Dave

Thanks
    Index.dat files, with regard to IE, keep information about what websites one have visited in the past.They can be somewhat of a privacy concern , especially if one is not aware of their existence. Index.dat files can accumulate over time and become quite large. There are several programs that are capable of clearing them, like CCleaner and Privacy Mantra. CCleaner renders them unviewable, but preserves their file sizes. Privacy Mantra will delete them altogether, but one must do a reboot after using.

Index.dat files can be cleaned out as regularly as you please and there will be no I'll effect as a result.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-05-18 at 06:49.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

DaveBRenn (2012-05-22)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I use a freebie called Index.Dat Analyzer which you can download from here: http://www.systenance.com/indexdat.php

It doesn't require a reboot after use.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Xircal For This Useful Post:

DaveBRenn (2012-05-22),Dick-Y (2012-05-21),georgelee (2012-05-29),Wobblyo (2012-05-24)