Thanks

Windows 8 tablet PC makers: We canít compete with the iPadís price

Thanks
    It will be an uphill battle for Microsoft to compete with Apple in the tablet Market.
    If history is any indication, they will probably fail again.

If they could put together a product as lean and power effiecient as the iPad while making it more functional, other than basically a media player,
    then they might stand a decent chance of success irregardless of pricing.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Apple does quite a few things well and one of those is to have a well built supply chain, where the number of variations to each device is minimal and the volume is high. In pure production cost I would agree that they are hard to beat. However, what they build is basically a large iPhone, which is much less flexible than a PC. Microsoft may have an advantage there, but remains to be seen whether it can be put to good use or not.

We'll see how things turn out. I am not an impartial observer, as I really have no use for an expensive media consumption device paid at an Apple inflated cost. I own two working tablet pcs running Windows 7 and my first one was bought in 2005, so I understand and appreciate the value and the flexibility of a full tablet, having used one everyday since 2005 and I really could not do anything with the lame version offered by Apple.

Thanks
    I still believe that with the numbers of desktop and laptop PC's (conventional PC's) running Windows, MS still needs to show and convince those desktop users that Win 8 is a good replacement for their present OS, when it is finally finished and released. There are definite advantages over Win 7, speed of boot and shutdown, memory management, my system seems to run faster, my system seems to talk to my other PC's on the network better than my Win 7 OS in the same laptop. Are these enough to convince me to switch. Time will tell.

I do not believe people will be jumping on the tablet bandwagon once Win 8 is released. You will see a surge, but not in great numbers IMHO. I have never owned an overpriced fruit product and do not anticipate ever getting one. I just think my laptop can do more for me than any tablet. Just my 2 cents
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    I'm finding a tablet can be really useful, such as for use when waiting for autowork and even at work when time permits.
    Compact, highly mobile, and internet accessable is the keyword. Much easier to carry around than a laptop.

If Windows 8 comes out with an efficient design built for a tablet, I'd gladly dump my iPod for it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yet another opinion piece attempting to put a negative spin on Windows 8. Interesting that the title appears to have a manufacturers quote, yet there are no quotes in the article from any manufacturer.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Ya know, so many people are trying to put a negative spin on an as yet unfinished product. Would they do this to a new automobile that was in early testing phases, or any other product in early testing.

Keep an open mind. Let's see what the next beta looks like. Win 8 RP will be out in about a week. Perhaps we will see some astounding advances in some of the less than stellar areas of Win 8 CP (the Metro apps for example. I don't particularly care about these, but I will keep an open mind about them)

People are acting like Win 8 CP is the final product when in actuality it is far from that. Please, perhaps I will find something that will cause me to rethink my attitude towards tablets or touch screens. I will always consider these devices. I do not see myself with one, but who knows. I will keep my mind open to the possibility. I do realize this is not finished.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted, some of us just don't like the direction Microsoft is heading with Windows 8 with its emphasis on Metro. There wasn't a substantive change in this from the DP to the RP release and it won't change substantially in the RP. If Microsoft has its way, all new software packages will be done using the Metro format as evidenced over the browser flap in Windows RT. Yes, the RP will clean up the Metro apps somewhat but we will still see an OS that's skewed towards Metro even though there will be some work arounds to stay in the desktop. It would not surprise me that Microsoft would remove the desktop completely in the next generation OS unless Windows 8 turns into a Vista like disaster.

As for touch screen devices, I never thought I would like one either but I love the Ipad I bought. I just wish Microsoft had separated a touch OS from a desktop OS. I don't want to lose the desktop environment and that's where we are headed.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I have yet to see anything that suggests they are dumping, or headed toward dumping the desktop. Far too many apps require much more horsepower and screen real-estate for them to be ported to tablet type apps. I've pointed out before that the enhancments to Server 2012 tell me that the desktop isn't going anywhere soon. So far all the desktop apps I've tried work perfectly. As for the Metro start menu on a desktop machine, as you and I have discussed before, I don't like every aspect of it, but I don't find it too bad either. I really wish I had a tablet I could install it on.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Chuck, Microsoft is encouraging new apps to be Metrofied. The next version of Office is likely to be a Metro suite. See:
    http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...tion_of_Office

If they can covert Office, I can't think of any other app that also couldn't be converted.

Jerry

Thanks
    There are just way too many desktops and conventional laptops in use to dump the desktop UI. MS is not run by Neanderthals. They realize that in order to gain market share with Win 8 they must convert a large number of those desktop users to Win 8 and that means a desktop UI, just no way around that!

Let them "Metrofy" any app they want. There will still be many millions of the non-"Metrofied" versions in use and being bought by us desktop users.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Good points Jerry and Ted. I think what we're talking about here though is a difference between "Metrofying" and traditional desktop look vs. out right tablet only apps. "Metrofied" apps don't necessarily mean non-desktop apps. Personally I couldn't care less if my apps have the Metro UI so long as I can continue to do everything I need to.
    Chuck