Lounger
    Thanks

Filtering records using option group

I have a table of work orders. I have designed a query that filters it via a number of combo boxes on a form, but I have run into a snag trying to implement one more filter. I'd like to have an option group with three selections (Finished, Unfinished, All) so that the command button will show the corresponding set of records. How do I add these criteria to the design view (can it be done here? I have never written SQL code from scratch)?

Here's the SQL from SQL view of the query thus far:
    SELECT tblWorkOrder.ID, tblWorkOrder.LocationMain, tblWorkOrder.ReportedDate, tblWorkOrder.ReportedBy, tblWorkOrder.LocationSpecific, tblWorkOrder.Description, tblWorkOrder.Notes, tblWorkOrder.Priority, tblWorkOrder.AssignedTo, tblWorkOrder.CompletedDate, tblWorkOrder.CompletedBy
    FROM tblWorkOrder
    WHERE (((tblWorkOrder.LocationMain) Like [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![cmbRoom]) AND ((tblWorkOrder.ReportedDate)>=[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![txtReportedDate]) AND ((tblWorkOrder.Priority)>=[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![cmbPriority])) OR (((tblWorkOrder.ReportedDate)>=[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![txtReportedDate]) AND ((tblWorkOrder.Priority)>=[Forms]![frmMainMenu]![cmbPriority]) AND ((([tblWorkOrder].[LocationMain]) Like [Forms]![frmMainMenu]![cmbRoom]) Is Null));

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Soft-Coding a SQL Statement from Forms Data

There are a number of ways to do this, but they come down to the same thing: your sql string will be modified based on the value of the option group. You don't say which field you will test the result against, so I will call it WorkStatus for this reply. Several steps are in order.

1) Turn the above string into a template by inserting the string " {0}" into the last line immediately before the semi-colon that ends it. No quotes, of course.

2)
    After doing that, execute this code:

if nz(optGroup) = 0 then
    end sub
    end if

dim strworkstatus as string

select case optGroup
    case 1
    strworkstatus = "Finished"
    case 2
    strworkstatus = "Unfinished"
    case 3
    strworkstatus = "All"
    end select

dim strfind as string
    strfind = "AND (tblWorkOrder.WorkStatus = """ & strworkstatus & """) "
    sql = replace(sql, "{0}", strfind)

Now you have SQL code you can requery as a filter

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LasVegan For This Useful Post:

Lastcall (2012-06-12)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for this.

The field I am testing is tblWorkOrder.CompletedDate. If there is a value (date value, obv) in here, the WO should be finished. If it is blank, the WO is unfinished. It seems that your code uses the string value "Finished" or "Unfinished" to test against a field that might contain that string.

Also, forgive my ignorance, but step 2 says to 'execute this code'... does this mean that the code should be the result of clicking the button? this part has me a little confused.