Thread: Internal Info

Banned Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up Internal Info

I dual-boot Windows 7 & 8. Now, I could switch to 7 & verify this but, I think my recollection is correct. In 7, after getting the Windows Experience Index, one could View Details but, I recall it being about what the number means & how it was derived. We would often use Everest (or the like) & tell customers to use it, to know what was inside a case (tower or laptop).

Now, there are lots of cool subtleties in Windows8 & the neat details make the whole. Many of you may well, already, be aware of this one but, anyway...

I hope the picture can be seen well. This is what, in Windows8, you get from hitting, "View and print detailed performance and system information", in the "Performance Information and Tools" window.

Cheers,
    Drew

Screenshot.JPG

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Medico (2012-05-19)

Thanks
    Thanks Drew. I had not seen this previously. Much more info than Win 7. My score on Win 7 is actually higher because my graphics adapter has Win 7 drivers installed in Win 7. In Win 8 CP I am using the default drivers installed by Win 8 CP. For my every day work I see no difference. I'm sure if I were a gamer I would notice differences probably with 3D rendering, etc. but for my use the default drivers are just fine for now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Vid-card.

Hello and good morning, Ted.

My experience with the default driver was bad, it could not do justice to my machine/screen. After a redo, W-8 accepted the driver on the CD that came with my Vid-card, an ATI FireMV 2250, I wanted to use the full resolution that it is capable to give me. Yes, this is a beta and that could explain it.

Just now, looking at SIW, I found out why out of my 4 G of RAM, there is only 3 useable, a 1 G is hardware "reserved", it is grabbed by this card. Honest, I just found out. I accept this sacrifice as the 1920 x 1080 is very nice. My RAM load is still below 33%.

I struggled with a small problem that nobody here has mentioned so far, a second language keyboard. I need a (CANADA) French at times and the primary language always defaulted to French when I wanted this option to be selective. I got into Control Panel many times and could not find the solution. Now the gremlins have seen my plight and set it for me, honest, it defaults to English but I do not know how/why it does, 1 for the machine, 0 for me.

It is a beta ! Let June roll on, I will be ready.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-05-19 at 09:09.

Thanks
    Rich, Perhaps you'll win the next round and tie the score! LOL! As you say this is still in beta and we are still discovering things about this beta every day. I have not tried to do anything different for my graphics because as I say the default works fine for me. I have the ATI Mobility Radeon 4650 HD with on board Ram so my full 8 GB Ram is reserved for my system.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Rich,

There are not a bunch of snags in Win8 or things that can or need to be explained by it currently being beta. Here's the answer to your language query. Also, you end up w/ language choices being available on the Taskbar. Rt Clk botton-left corner of Desktop > Control Panel > Add a Language; in the window you get whatever languages presently in use will be listed & to the right the word "Options", hit that & a window showing your current languages and Add an Input Method, hit that. A window results w/ all available languages listed. Select, highlight those wanted & hit ADD button @ bottom-right of that window. As soon as you have more than 1, Languages will be on the Taskbar & can be easily changed there, @ any time.

Cheers,
    Drew

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ok, I went back, briefly, to 7 & I'd better revise this. 1st the use & suggestion of Everest would be something I was applying, @ least, pre Windows7. I say this because, one DOES get this same info in either 7 or 8. The difference & maybe partially leading to my misstatement, is that there IS a link in the Index window of 7 explaining what the Index is (about) & what a machine's Index value means & how it is determined...that is not in the Windows8 Index window. Obviously, would have been good had I dbl checked in 7 rather than going by memory of something I'd not looked @ recently.

I'll plead momentary senility... this better be the only 2 moments of that, the 1st & the last.

Cheers,
    Drew

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Post #5.

Drew, hello.

Your reply to Rich, I am not, in message #5, I had done over and over again and the keyboard would always flop back to french. If I toggled it to English and just clicked on the Control Panel icon on my desktop, it would flip it to french. I could not see the connection at all.

I mentioned some gremlins and they did fine by me, this language thing set itself all of a sudden, I wish that I know why/how. I have it set to flop on "Ctrl/Shift but the W-8 command is nicer, Win-k/Space. Try it, you will love it. Oh, one tongue ! JP.