New Lounger
    Thanks

Device Manager not listing any devices

I've been getting an error on my desktop related to the ATI graphics card so went into Device Manager to check into the issue. When I opened DM, however, nothing was listed. Even after multiple reboots, and verifying that I am logged in as Admin, the DM window still shows no devices. Any ideas how to restore this?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Check the view tab and ensure "Devices by Type" is selected. Other than that try a system restore to an earlier time.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Have you disabled plug and play services? Plug and Play should normally be set to automatic.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I verified that "devices by type" is selected and that PnP is set to automatic. Still no luck. Am hoping not to do a system restore as I am not sure how many steps back I'll need to go -- it has been a long time since I've had a need to open DM, so I am uncertain when the probelm began. If anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears! Thanks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried System File Checker?
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...g-MNhg&cad=rja

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Silly question perhaps, but at the top of the list in Device Manager, you should be able to see the name you gave to your machine. If that has a "+" sign the the left of it, click that to expand the tree and then you'll be able to see all your devices.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by caservant View Post
    Any ideas how to restore this?
    caservant,
    Hello... If your graphics card is not present your OS will revert to your native graphics driver ...At times not the optimum screen resolution .. Can you post a screen shot of your Device Manager ? It's not likely that your ATI drivers will be removed on their own. Regards Fred

PS: Are you sure that your "security" is not preventing the ATI drivers from being loaded ...You may have to switch it off ...then load your drivers as an "Admin".
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-05-20 at 18:20.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Just tried sfc and that scanned without finding any issues. I may need to consider the System Restore route. The computer has gotten quite a bit slower lately, so it may simply be time for me to reinstall Win 7.

Thanks
    Is the device management window completely empty when you open it?

If you do use system restore you can try that too as a first step, as Clive has mentioned.
    Yes, you should resore a drive image if you have one, maybe even a clean install if the SR dosn't do it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Maybe some additional clues...

If you haven't already gone the System Restore route, how about posting two screen shots: (1) the Device Manager window and (2) the DM window with the "View" menu dropped down. I think it might help us if we could see what you're seeing.