Thread: Bit Locker

Thanks

Bit Locker

I recently set up BitLocker to encrypt my external HD. Why I chose to do this isn't really germain to the thread so I will not go into my reasons for doing so.
    I tried to find an answer to my question, but haven't been able to find anything definitive. So here is the question:
    If I take my BitLocker Encrypted External HD and plug it into a Win7 computer that is not running either Ultimate or Pro, will that computer be able to unencrypt the HD if they have the Keys?
    My logic says that yes they would, however my logic is only as good as the amount of coffee I have consumed.....

John
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Wow, I am very surprised. My expectation was that, even with the key or password, an OS that does not support Bitlocker would not be able to read the drive.

However, I just took 10 minutes to test that expectation and was shocked to find that I can read a Bitlocked drive on a Win 7 Home Premium PC.

I verified this by generating a Bitlocked 2GB USB memory stick on a Win 7 Ultimate PC, then attempting to read that memory stick on Win7 Home Premium. Inserting the drive into the Win 7 Home Premium machine resulted in a dialog prompt asking for the password, which of course I know. Entering the password unlocked the drive and mounted it. Exploring the drive was, from that point, exactly the same as if it were unencrypted.

I had always assumed that you needed Pro or above to generate and read a Bitlocked drive, but I've learnt something new today.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

t8ntlikly (2012-05-19)

Thanks
    My expectation was as you found out, however I really didn't really have a way of testing it out. I can now move forward with my plans for this.
    thanks for testing it out Tinto.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)