Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Vista update problem

I just got my Windows Vista laptop out for the first time in several months. I use it primarily for trips, and I always update Windows before I leave. Have never had problems with this before, but today when I open Windows Update and then click on Check for Updates, I get this message, "Windows Updates cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.". Restarting the computer does not help, additional tries all fail. I ran a complete virus scan, my internet connection is working, and my desktop Windows 7 PC checks updates the same as always.

Also, I am getting a blank result when checking the update history. I've been through the restarting process several times without getting the update check. Somewhere in the middle of these repeat efforts, one time I did get the update history, but only one time, and I still didn't get the update check.

I'm looking for advice. Thanks, Jerry

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Jerry,

> Computer Management > Services

Makes sure, BITS & Windows Update are @ the correct settings to run. If, these Services are not running, you can reboot til the cows come home. If, you need a more detailed explanation of what I'm talking about, don't hesitate to ask. Also, in cmd, Run as Admin, type netsh winsock reset & hit Enter.

Cheers,
    Drew

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Number (2012-05-21)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, thanks for the help. I went over the advice that you gave and I have established that the BITS and Windows Update services are currently running, but I still get the message,"Windows Updates cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.". In fact, I think that the services always were running.

Is there something else I can try?

Thanks
    Did you try resetting WINSOCK? Can you try a Sys Restore to when the Updates worked properly? Have you run the MS Fix-it Tool? That MAY do the trick... http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/en-us

If nothing else, here's a solution... If & when it is regarding Updates one can get no charge help from MS. Here is the number to call, 1-866-727-2338.

A Rebuild would likely fix this but, would be nice to avoid doing that.

Are you sure there is no malware in the machine? It can cause this, too.

Cheers,
    Drew

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Number (2012-05-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew, I've tried but haven't been able to get the Windows Updates functional. I tried several System Restores from various dates, but they all failed. I ran the MS Fix-It Tool, but it didn't help. I ran Norton, Microsoft, and Malwarebytes anti-malware scans in the comprehensive modes , and they didn't find any problems. Other things I tried said I needed Administrator status when I was already running in an administrator account. I've reluctantly decided to rebuild from scratch - but I'll have to wait until I have some time available to go through the process. Again thanks - I appreciate your suggestions.

Regards, Jerry
    Last edited by Number; 2012-05-22 at 09:43. Reason: typos

Administrator
    Thanks
    Remember that starting with Vista just because your account is a member of the Admin group does not mean it has full, unfettered admin access as it had in XP. The builtin Administrator account is the only account with full admin access. That is why you are required to give an admin account (depending on the UAC level) or select "Run as administrator".

Joe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Number (2012-05-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I used the built-in administrator account, but there is goofy stuff going on. I think I'll have to rebuild.

Jerry

Thanks
    Jerry, if you feel that a rebuild is in order, that there is more amiss than just the Updates issue, w/ which MS would help, that's cool. I just have 1 suggestion... this time use MSE not, Norton.

Pls, let me know if everything is ok after the rebuild. Thanks.

Cheers,
    Drew

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Number (2012-05-22)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Drew: I do feel that there is more going on than the Update problem, so I'll do the rebuild. The computer needs some cleanup anyway. I haven't done one for awhile, so maybe I've forgotten some of the pain. But, I'll have to delay it until I have some available time. I appreciate your good advice.

Jerry
    Last edited by Number; 2012-05-22 at 13:45. Reason: added thought.

Thanks
    Jerry,

Okie dokie. Thank you.

Cheers,
    Drew

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew1903 For This Useful Post:

Number (2012-05-22)

Thanks
    Number,

May I jump in here and make a suggestion as well. Since you are going to do a complete rebuild. Once you are done and have all updates and customizations and all apps installed, create an Image using a good 3rd party Imaging app such as Acronis True Image Home (Not free) or Macrium Reflect (free and paid version) and recreate new images whenever you make changes. This way when something like this happens again, it only takes about 10 minutes to restore to a good image.

Remember to make a boot disk for whatever app you use to create your image and test the image after creating it.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Number (2012-05-22)

Thanks
    Hey Ted,

W/ a good ext drive & windows7 or 8 no added software is needed to create an image. W/out my leaving Win8 & going into Win7 to access my Vista virtual machine to refresh or confirm my memory... does not the same hold true for Vista?

Cheers,
    Drew

Thanks
    That may be true, I do not remember about Vista either, but I do not particularly trust the built in Imaging app in Windows. I much prefer the 3rd party apps to perform this vital function. I have read of too many problems with the built in app. Plus it's a pretty basic app to start with in Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Perhaps visiting the update site - http://update.microsoft.com - and allowing it to scan the system and provide information on the updates available and then making it install them might fix the problem.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Eric Legge For This Useful Post:

Number (2012-06-06)

Thanks

Talking

For those that are noticing goofy behavior from their operating system in Vista/Win7, and haven't disabled the hidden account in Home versions of these operating systems. I've had to wipe and reinstall the OS for my clients, and then make darn sure to disable the hidden account. I highly recommend giving that account a very strong password before disabling it. Usually the command line tool works best on Home versions. Just google for how to disable the hidden account, and the MS site will detail all versions.

Professional, Business, and Ultimate versions will be disabled by default; from what I've experienced. I alway re-enable the account when the new operating system install starts, and give it the strong password treatment, and then disable it again in the MMC. Malware is capable of re-enabling it, so the password trick is required - unfortunately.

Even my clients who use XP have had very little trouble since then, but then they also follow my other advice on good AV/AM and other security practices. I'll never forget my first good professional install back near the turn of the century when my W2K was quickly taken over by malware, and someone had even password protected the hidden account. Needless to say, I wiped an reinstalled then too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast