Star Lounger
    Thanks

WinXpPro Vs Roxio Goback

Question I posted a similar question before, please forgive me if it sounds repeated. I had to reformat my hardrive and do a cleaninstall to my pc for WinXp Pro. Now before I install GoBack, Do I have to somehow uninstall the restore system in WinXp Pro? Can someone help?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WinXpPro Vs Roxio Goback

I just disabled System Restore by checking the appropriate box under the System Restore tag under Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/System, re-booted, then installed Roxio Goback...which works much better than System Restore. But you have to update Roxio GoBack to the XP version using the free download at the Roxio Web Site.

Roger

Star Lounger
    Thanks

ok I couldn't wait. I installed Goback already. Do you recommend me uninstalling Goback and then disable system restore, or can I just disable system restore and continue with Goback. Thank you very much for replying.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If Roxio Go Back is working OK I would recommend just disabling System Restore in order to save your system doing extra work to keep both programs working.

Roger

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I was about to do it, when I checked GoBack and noticed that it only had one day backed up. I checked and saw this at the top, "goback logging suspended due to massive file acitvity". Can you tell me what this means. System Restore has up to monday's date as a restore. Thanks

canadaharry

Been there, done that. When u install GoBack it kills restore for you.
    Massive file activity... you bet.. lots of work to do tracking every keystroke practically. I would often get that in WinMe. Finally gave up on goback because of that and that only. Otherwise GoBack is the best idea ever and great for multi users on one pc.. catch and correct serious blunders.. The only thing is, i bought it 3 times already at full price and there is no real upgrade break so to h... with it now- with xp, i will try to avoid it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I traced the time frame and found out the Diskeeper 7.0 SE ran defragmenting process. I checked diskeeper options and placed as an exception goback.bin. I hope this would fix that problem. I have 80 gigs harddrive so I have plenty of space. When I installed goback custom, it only allowed maximim of 400 mg. Anyway I appreciate the comment. I have to decide what to do, still don't know. Any other opinions.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I suspect the two programs have been fighting each other and Go Back will come right when you disable System Restore and reboot. I gave up on System Restore because it seemed to be a very cut down version of Go Back that only logged a restore check point every few days and if you tried to force a manual check point it tied up the computer forever.

Other "goodies" that come with WindowsXP, eg DVD, CD Burning and the Firewall, also seem to be very limited, cut down versions of commercial third party programs.

Roger

Roger

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wow thanks. I have Norton Firewall and Roxio CD Creator Platinum. Should I be disabling something else on my pc. Is there another firewall and or CD Burning software I need to disable. Thank you again. I'm leaning a lot from you guys. I really appreciate it.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You will find the WinXP Firewall check box under the Advanced tab of your Dial Up Properties. I think it is turned off by default. If your Norton Firewall is working I would leave the WinXP version off.
    Doubt if it matters about the CD Burning...Windows Media Player will probably use the WinXp version and you will continue to do your "real" work with Adaptec CD Creator 5.0 (which needs updating for WinXP from the Roxio site)

Roger

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I really appreciate all the comments.