New Lounger
    Thanks

Selecting text in Word 2010 - why does the previous word get included?

When I want to select a word or phrase in a sentence in Word, if I inadvertently select the space before the word, WORD automatically selects the previous word. I suppose that I could be more accurate in my selection, I.E., begin my selection at the first letter and not the space before the first letter, but I do not work at such a magnified scale, and it is tedious to make sure I do not select that space.

It seems unfair that WORD would assume that I want to select "backward" (heck, if I wanted the previous word, I would select it). Is there any any to turn this "'auto back selection" off?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Yoree,

Welcome to the lounge as a new poster.

Check your settings for Select Whole Words Only. This is what causes it to select the previous word as it counts that space as part of the previous word. Here is where it shows up in 2003 don't have access to 2010 just now.
    EntireWord.JPG
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, that's it! I would have never guessed that selecting a succeeding space would count as selecting the word.

In WORD 2010, it is File, Options, Advanced, Editing options, checkbox for When selecting, automatically select entire word.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Word's definition of a word is idiosyncratic, and varies for different purposes. Welcome to the wonderful world under the hood of Word.