Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why do some websites not display in IE?

The system is Win7 64 bit, fully updated. Anti-virus program is F-Secure, nothing detected. MalwareBytes also detects no problems. The problem is that some web sites do not display, including the the download site for IE9. Also, on Youtube
    I can play some videos, but not others. One that will always fail is youtube.com/watch?v=LGzEVarZm8k. I get the circular indication that the film should be downloading, but then the message that an error haas occurred. I have tried the usual tricks of running IE without any add-ons, no change. I have also reinstalled the Flash player and Java, no change. MS has a diagnostic tool that will help detect problems with IE, but it came back clean. I have already deleted all temporary files and
    cookies, as well as the Windows Prefetch directory. Also tried turning off the firewall, no luck.

What can I try next, other than the usual comments about FF and Chrome?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Have you tried to briefly turn off F-Secure in an attempt to see whether it might be the cause of the problem? Have you attempted to install and/or update Silverlight? Have you attempted to go back to IE 8, then re-download IE 9 directly from MS and install IE 9 using the file rather than WU?

1) If F-Secure is causing the problem, another AV app might work better. Might I suggest MSE.

2) Silverlight is the MS version similar to Adobe Flash. Perhaps some of the sites use Silverlight rather than Flash

3) Control Panel, Programs and Features, View installed updates link at left of window. Find IE 9 and uninstall. It will automatically roll back to IE 8. If you choose this route, after downloading the file, disconnect from the internet, turn off all security apps (AV, AM etc) and all apps easily temporarily disabled, then perform the install, then turn everything back on before re-connecting to the internet.

I hope one of these suggestions help. I also get tired of the "Install FF or Chrome" comments when these questions arise. I use IE 9 as my default browser and like it very much. I use Chrome as a backup (Usually only open it when checking for yet another version upgrade). I do not have FF installed any more.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Need help diagnosing problem

Thanks for your reply, Ted.
    I have tried turning off F-Secure, but that made no difference. I am still using IE8 on this system, as I was unable to download IE9. I will do that on another system, and then take the file over to the problem site. Your suggestion about Silverlight is interesting. As I have already reinstalled Flash, I suppose the next logical step would be to uninstall Silverlight, and after rebooting, reinstall Silverlight and whatever updates it might require.
    Too bad there is no log or debugging tool to try and track down the source of this type of error. I was most surprized when I could not download IE9 from Microsoft itself!.
    I will post my results when I know more, probably tomorrow.

Thanks
    Youtube uses Flash. Try Uninstalling Flash with Revo Uninstaller . Then download the latest version of Flash Player . Be sure to uncheck the box next to the google Toolbar download unless you really want it.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you need to uninstall Flash try using the Flash Uninstaller from Adobe.

Joe

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Duchess843 (2012-06-16)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First, I uninstalled Silverlight. This did make one improvement. Previously IE8 would soptaneously report that the internet connection had fallen out. This was in fact no so, as Outlook could still happily send and receive e-mail. Then I uninstalled Flash via the Adobe site, and after reboot reinstalled. No change. Then I upgraded to IE9, bit this also has had no effect. I have also upgraded to the latest Java, on the off chance that this might help. Even when I disable all BHO's except Flash, the problem persists. I am slowly coming to the conclusion that the only option left, unless there is some way to "trap" the cause, will be to install another browser. But would that cure the problem, if the problem lies with a BHO? Are there no diagnostic tools or logs that would be of any help?

Administrator
    Thanks
    You could try using the custom options with Windows Repair from Tweaking.com to repair IE.

Joe

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-01-09),Mike Feury (2012-01-12)

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you reset IE to default settings yet? Internet Options>Advanced>Reset

Also, at the risk of incurring your wrath, it might be worth trying a couple of tests on Firefox - wait a minute before you run screaming to the hills - this isn't an attempt to lure you off IE: it might clear up some questions about whether IE is broken or your add-ons. Why choose FF? - it's because Chrome has Flash embedded, while FF will attempt to use the Flash application installed by the user. If the broken sites fail to load correctly in FF, then perhaps the problems lie in Java or Flash etc. If they load OK, then I think you need to find a route back to a clean installation of IE9.

Thanks
    Also verify what is in your "HOSTS" file and who you are using for DNS.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know where I found this, but it works for me: go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Drop down to the heading Security and make sure that "Do not save encrypted pages to disk" is UNchecked. I don't know what the security implications are.

New Lounger
    Thanks

ie 64 bit vs ie 32bit

You may be using ie 64bit but I've had issues with using ie 64bit on certain websites. This may not be the issue but it's a simple fix to try.
    Click start and then All programs and you will see two IE's, one 64 bit and one not. Click on the non-64bit IE and then try to navigate to the website you're having a problem with.

Rick

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for the usual FF comment, but that url worked fine in FF when I turned the tab into an IE tab. Which makes me think the compatibility issue is not IE, but one of your other memory resident programs.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Why do some websites not display in IE?

I forgot to mention that I have the 32-bit version of Windows 7. I also had no problem in accessing the website with Chrome and FF. I just prefer the way IE9 prints it out.

New Lounger
    Thanks

This might fix the problem

I struggled with this problem forever so I would add a little bit that I found out today.

If the silverlight control has 'windowless mode turned on <param name="windowless" value="true" />

It will just show a blank page in IE9 on SOME computers. In windows 7, if you minimise the IE9 and then hover over the icon on the task bar, you can see the page as it should render in the little preview box.

It must be a problem with certain graphics accelerators\drivers and IE9. If you go to the advanced options on Internet Explorer and check the box for 'Use Software Rendering instead of GPU rendering', there is a good chance that the page will display correctly.

So, either remove the windowless parameter from the silverlight app OR Use Software Rendering instead of GPU rendering

This problem was a pain with a simple fix.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The Flash player in all versions of IE is an ActiveX control. In IE9, Microsoft introduced an option called ActiveX Filtering which allows the user to disables ActiveX controls.

Enabling ActiveX Filtering via the Tools menu will disable Flash since the latter is also an ActiveX Control.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast